The Western Digital Red drives bring up the rear when it comes to access time measurements. They’ve clearly been optimized for quiet operation and avoiding load actuator movements at the cost of this metric, which would probably be more important on the desktop.
The Red series isn’t a good choice for high I/O NAS environments.
- NAS-Oriented Hard Drives, With A Twist
- Meet Western Digital's Red
- Technical Specifications And Test Configuration
- Benchmark Results: Data Throughput And Interface Bandwidth
- Benchmark Results: Read/Write Access Time And I/O Performance
- Benchmark Results: Streaming Reads/Writes, 4 KB Random Reads/Writes
- Benchmark Results: PCMark 7
- Power Consumption And Temperature
- Red Gets A Recommendation In NAS Appliances