Skip to main content

Nvidia Officially Increases European Prices on RTX 30-Series GPUs

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Ti reference
(Image credit: Nvidia)

German publication Computerbase.de spotted that Nvidia silently increased the pricing of the RTX 30-series Founders Edition graphics cards in the EU. The new pricing represents a 5 to 6.5% increase across the lineup, but that is more significant than it sounds — that translates to $100 Euros for the RTX 3090.

We reached out to Nvidia to ask if the company would also hike prices in the United States and other regions. Nvidia gave Tom's Hardware the following succinct response:

"No. It is related to exchange rate fluctuation. That is all." - Nvidia representative.

MSRPs are largely meaningless in these days of GPU shortages. Still, the price hikes for the Founder's Edition cards are discouraging because Nvidia is the only outlet that sells the cards at recommended pricing in the EU — at least when they're available. They currently aren't.

Old PriceNew Price Increase Price/Percent
GeForce RTX 3060 Ti419 Euros439 Euros20 Euros / 5%
GeForce RTX 3070519 Euros549 Euros30 Euros / 6%
GeForce RTX 3070 Ti619 Euros649 Euros30 Euros / 5%
GeForce RTX 3080719 Euros759 Euros40 Euros / 6%
GeForce RTX 3080 Ti1,119 Euros1,269 Euros70 Euros / 6%
GeForce RTX 30901,549 Euros1,649 Euros100 Euros / 6.5%

*Table data sourced from Computerbase.de

The price increases mark the second time Nvidia has increased GPU pricing in the EU, with the last hike of 3 to 4% occurring in January 2021 due to a change in tax rates. This time around, Nvidia says the new increase is simply tied to the current exchange rate. It's hard to ascertain how many units the company sells directly to customers, but it likely isn't a significant quantity, meaning the increase probably won't impact many customers.

At present, Nvidia doesn't sell directly (opens in new tab) to customers in the US, instead opting to use Best Buy as its exclusive partner for Founders Edition cards. While there have been GPU drops of 17,000 cards (across the US) in the past, that's a relatively insignificant number. GPU prices on places like eBay continue to be far higher than MSRPs, and places like Newegg aren't far off the eBay prices — and then usually only if you get selected in a Newegg Shuffle. 

In the end, finding the best graphics cards will continue to be a tough challenge, regardless of the geographic region. However, Nvidia's Chief Financial Officer Colette Kress has stated that we can expect supply to improve in the second half of the year. This is when the company is expected to introduce its new 40-Series cards that will reportedly be fabbed at TSMC. That should open up more supply as the company will continue to sell the RTX 30-Series cards fabbed at Samsung foundries.

Unfortunately, given the ongoing shortages of other componentry needed to build graphics cards, the additional supply might not help pricing too much, though. Here's hoping. 

Paul Alcorn
Paul Alcorn

Paul Alcorn is the Deputy Managing Editor for Tom's Hardware US. He writes news and reviews on CPUs, storage and enterprise hardware.

  • peachpuff
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti419 Euros43 Euros20 Euros / 5%
    43 euros? Sign me up!
    Reply
  • InvalidError
    peachpuff said:
    43 euros? Sign me up!
    I'll take 100!
    Reply
  • VforV
    Nvidia: "we care about gamers!"

    After numerous scummy deeds in the past years, months, weeks, here's another scummy one just for EU. A price hike just for you!
    Because **** the EU, right?

    It's not like we already had higher prices than US, no no no, let's raise them more.

    Lately every month, nah every week, nvidia reminds me why I gave my money to AMD and not them and will continue to do so.

    edit:
    "No. It is related to exchange rate fluctuation. That is all." - Nvidia representative.
    Hahaha :LOL::ROFLMAO: Good one.
    Reply
  • sizzling
    VforV said:
    Nvidia: "we care about gamers!"

    After numerous scummy deeds in the past years, months, weeks, here's another scummy one just for EU. A price hike just for you!
    Because **** the EU, right?

    It's not like we already had higher prices than US, no no no, let's raise them more.

    Lately every month, nah every week, nvidia reminds me why I gave my money to AMD and not them and will continue to do so.

    edit:

    Hahaha :LOL::ROFLMAO: Good one.

    It’s not the first time in the last 19 years prices have been adjust because of an FX change. If you check the EUR to USD over the last years the EUR has been on a steady downward slope. It’s inevitable that will impact imported goods.
    Reply
  • VforV
    sizzling said:
    It’s not the first time in the last 19 years prices have been adjust because of an FX change. If you check the EUR to USD over the last years the EUR has been on a steady downward slope. It’s inevitable that will impact imported goods.
    Let's be real they earn 2x to 3x of MSRP's profit and they "need" to also hike the price for this reason stated above too? Really?

    In that humongous profit they earn already, they cannot eat that little 5% increase and at least for once seem to care for customers?

    GREED has risen to monumental levels and it will reach the sky and beyond, there is not limit for greed. This is just another excuse for that.

    F them. They deserve all the bad PR and mindshare. They deserve a lot worse actually...
    Reply
  • sizzling
    VforV said:
    Let's be real they earn 2x to 3x of MSRP's profit and they "need" to also hike the price for this reason stated above too? Really?

    In that humongous profit they earn already, they cannot eat that little 5% increase and at least for once seem to care for customers?

    GREED has risen to monumental levels and it will reach the sky and beyond, there is not limit for greed. This is just another excuse for that.

    F them. They deserve all the bad PR and mindshare. They deserve a lot worse actually...
    But that’s the point, this change is to the MSRP adjusting for FX. Unless gpu prices come back to normal it makes no difference as price is determined by supply and the market. If prices came back to MSRP in the next few months the price has been adjusted to reflect the change in FX.
    Reply
  • spongiemaster
    sizzling said:
    But that’s the point, this change is to the MSRP adjusting for FX. Unless gpu prices come back to normal it makes no difference as price is determined by supply and the market. If prices came back to MSRP in the next few months the price has been adjusted to reflect the change in FX.
    Just ignore the AMD troll. All he does is spam the board with anti Nvidia/Intel garbage. As usual, he doesn't know what he is talking about. The price increases in Europe are only for the Founder's Edition cards sold by Nvidia to select retailers that have to sell them at the listed MSRP. This isn't a price increase on cards selling for 2-3x MSRP. Considering component cost increases, inflation, and shipping cost increases since these cards were announced in 2020, it's pretty remarkable that this is the first price increase and 5.5% isn't that big a deal. The inflation rate alone in the EU is about 5.3% right now.

    https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-quietly-increases-prices-of-geforce-rtx-30-founders-edition-cards-in-europe
    Reply
  • jacob249358
    VforV said:
    Let's be real they earn 2x to 3x of MSRP's profit and they "need" to also hike the price for this reason stated above too? Really?

    In that humongous profit they earn already, they cannot eat that little 5% increase and at least for once seem to care for customers?

    GREED has risen to monumental levels and it will reach the sky and beyond, there is not limit for greed. This is just another excuse for that.

    F them. They deserve all the bad PR and mindshare. They deserve a lot worse actually...
    its a business not a social club. Its about making money not friends.
    Reply
  • VforV
    jacob249358 said:
    its a business not a social club. Its about making money not friends.
    Were they not making money at MSRP for 20 years until now?

    Are they not making money at 2x MSRP? At 3x MSRP? Because these are the prices now.

    Do they need extra 5% or 10% over that 2x-3x MSRP that they already charge?

    Can people be more ignorant and brainwashed into defending these prices and more price increases? Can they be?
    I guess they can... When the GPUs will cost $5000 someone will defend those prices and another price increase to $6000, right?

    Lunacy asylum.
    Reply
  • jacob249358
    VforV said:
    Were they not making money at MSRP for 20 years until now?

    Are they not making money at 2x MSRP? At 3x MSRP? Because these are the prices now.
    When your product is in high demand it's logical to capitalize on that. Not to mention prices of the materials to make GPUs have gone up.
    Reply