Skip to main content

RTX 3080 Smashes Through Doom Eternal at Over 100 FPS in 4K

(Image credit: Nvidia)

In Nvidia's keynote launching the RTX 3090, RTX 3080 and RTX 3070, Nvidia hasn't shown actual frame rate numbers on games running on the RTX Ampere GPUs. That changes today. On the official GeForce YouTube channel, Nvidia shows off their RTX 3080 graphics card running Doom Eternal with a frame rate OSD at 4K resolution with maxed out graphics settings.


In the video, we can see the RTX 3080 screaming through the title at over 100 fps during  gameplay, including intense fire fights. The lowest frame rate recorded during the video was around 110 fps for a brief second and the highest of around 175 fps.


For a few cut-scenes, Nvidia shows a direct comparison of the RTX 2080 Ti to the RTX 3080. The RTX 2080 Ti was averaging around 80-90 fps while the RTX 3080 was in the mid-130 fps range for most of the scene. That's easily a 60% difference in performance.

Nvidia's gameplay demonstrates  that Ampere isn't just a fast ray-tracing card. At least in this demo, pure rasterized performance in games is significantly faster than Ampere's predecessors.

Doom Eternal RTX 3080 Frame Rate OSD

Doom Eternal RTX 3080 Frame Rate OSD (Image credit: NVidia)

As a side note, we can see Nvidia is running an unreleased driver for the RTX 3080 in the demo, version 455.77. This could be the launch driver for the RTX 3000 series coming soon.

Of course, we're still waiting for the opportunity to review the RTX 3080 and other Ampere GPUs ourselves, so stay tuned.

  • husker
    The increase is nice, but using an example with a jump from 90 fps to 190 fps isn't really a difference the human eye can detect. A more meaningful example would be showing the card actually solving a problem, e.g. a game that previously ran at subpar levels to allow something like 90 - 100 fps with the RTX3080. If I were in charge of marketing at nVidia, I would want to show gamers that they can finally max out settings in games that stumble - make gamers think "I need that!" In fact, this example reinforces the idea that current video cards are just fine, folks, only buy our new card if you want to brag. I know that it will make a difference in future games, but why give us an example that is so lackluster?
    Reply
  • Math Geek
    it's a good thought except for the fact that most of the less informed don't think like that. they see an increase so "i have to have it or else i'll be missing out"
    Reply
  • hotaru.hino
    husker said:
    If I were in charge of marketing at nVidia, I would want to show gamers that they can finally max out settings in games that stumble - make gamers think "I need that!"
    I'm going to assume "stumble" means stuttering or whatnot. In which case, that depends on the CPU moreso than the GPU. It's in the best interest of a GPU company to showcase their product in GPU dependent scenarios.

    If you're stuttering in GPU dependent scenarios though, well, you likely realize you're due for a GPU upgrade anyway.
    Reply
  • Thunderstomp
    For me personally, to make this kind of benchmarking meaningful it would have to be done in a game's such as RDR2 or Horizon Zero Dawn with maxed settings.
    Reply
  • Shadowclash10
    husker said:
    The increase is nice, but using an example with a jump from 90 fps to 190 fps isn't really a difference the human eye can detect. A more meaningful example would be showing the card actually solving a problem, e.g. a game that previously ran at subpar levels to allow something like 90 - 100 fps with the RTX3080. If I were in charge of marketing at nVidia, I would want to show gamers that they can finally max out settings in games that stumble - make gamers think "I need that!" In fact, this example reinforces the idea that current video cards are just fine, folks, only buy our new card if you want to brag. I know that it will make a difference in future games, but why give us an example that is so lackluster?
    Yeah, I guess. But what were they comparing the RTX 3080 to? A RTX 2080 Ti. Which, costs around or greater than $1200 (hey Nvidia, where r those $1000 RTX 2080 Tis you promised us :P). When you consider that the RTX 3080 is waay cheaper than the 2080 Ti, it does solve a problem - the fact that prior to this, reliable 4K gaming was difficult. And if we extrapolate, the RTX 3070 should be a bit above the 2080 Ti, which makes things even more affordable. And hopefully the RTX 3060 will be a bit below/equal to the 2080 Ti (reasonable to expect if it's $400). Ampere does solve the problem of 4K, but yes, the presentation could have been deigned better to focus on that part.
    Reply
  • Gurg
    Guess I'm an uninformed deplorable because I want one.

    Will probably wait until Pre-Black Friday sale however when all the manufacturers card models will be available and pricing should have settled down. .

    I've been waiting and settling for lesser solutions to maxing out the 60 hz 4K 28" monitor I bought at Black Friday sale in 2015 for $350. This animal should finally do it!
    Reply
  • hotaru.hino
    Gurg said:
    Will probably wait until Pre-Black Friday sale however when all the manufacturers card models will be available and pricing should have settled down. .
    It's probably going to be worse at that point. Even before the mining craze, scalpers were all over new GPUs and selling them back on the market with a $100+ markup.
    Reply
  • Samuel White
    Remember when Nvidia said the 2080ti would crush 4k at 120fps at launch when it struggled to pull high detailed games to 60fps. I do not trust Nvidia's numbers or their testing. You can throw padded numbers all day long to get their pre-order fan bois hooked, but Nvidia has always stumbled at delivering what they promise at launch. I'll believe it after launch and non-bias paid reviews are done in real world PC test. Not some optimized machine to make all the hardware work simultaneously to boost those gpu numbers.
    Reply
  • Makaveli
    Math Geek said:
    it's a good thought except for the fact that most of the less informed don't think like that. they see an increase so "i have to have it or else i'll be missing out"

    This is a valid point the general public just looks at numbers and bigger number = better.

    If the marketing was geared to users on this forum they would have to make it alot better but we are a small part of the whole market.
    Reply
  • Zizo007
    Not impressive...A stock 2080 Ti can already play Doom Eternal at 4K over 100fps (106)...Its an easy game. Benchmarks are here:

    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/doom-eternal-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/4.html
    Reply