Audio / Video
In our single-threaded iTunes test, the pair of AMD Athlon IIs rank by CPU core speed.
Well-threaded HandBrake, however, is a different story entirely. The current rig holds a narrow victory at stock clocks, but the triple-core chip at 3.9 GHz is no match for the $400 PC’s “unlocked” quad-core chip running at 3.2 GHz.
As expected, the stock December PC leads in TMPEnc video transcoding. The two overclocked systems each split a victory, as DivX benefits more from the extra thread, while Xvid favors the higher processor frequency.
Overclocking the December PC knocks 31 seconds off MainConcept's transcoding time. But last quarter's quad-core machine still finishes the task ten seconds faster.
- Spending It All
- CPU And Cooler
- Motherboard And Memory
- Graphics Card And Hard Drive
- Case, Power Supply, And Optical Drive
- Test System Configuration And Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: Synthetics
- Benchmark Results: Audio/Video
- Benchmark Results: Productivity
- Benchmark Results: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 And Crysis
- Benchmark Results: DiRT 2 And S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call Of Pripyat
- Power Consumption And Temperatures
- Performance Summary, Efficiency, And Conclusion