Again, the 4.0 GHz setting on the Core i7 does not provide performance benefits, due to heat-related processor throttling.
Photoshop scales nicely with increasing clock speed. We found it interesting to see that the 3.33 GHz setting with Turbo Mode provides basically the same performance as the 3.66 GHz configuration, which does not run Turbo Mode.
WinRAR is multi-threaded, while WinZIP was not optimized to take advantage of multiple processing cores. As a result, the impact of the 3.33 GHz setup with Turbo Mode is significant in WinZIP.
- Does it Make Sense To Go for Maximum Performance?
- Hardware: Core i7 920, Asus X58, Corsair DDR3
- Overclocking Choices And Details
- From 2.66 To 4.0 GHz
- Test System
- Benchmark Results: Games
- Benchmark Results: PCMark & 3DMark Vantage
- Benchmark Results: Applications
- Benchmark Results: Audio/Video
- Idle/Peak Power Consumption Analysis
- Average And Total Power During PCMark
- Efficiency Results