Apple iTunes transcoding performance is almost perfectly pinned to CPU frequency, and the new system has a noticeable deficit at default frequencies.
It wins when overclocked, though, which is what counts the most in our book.
Lame continues to paint the picture of a motherboard that doesn’t allow its CPU to shine in the new system at default settings, since both machines have the same CPU. Fortunately, the MSI board in our new configuration still overclocks better.
The MSI board’s baseline performance looks even worse in video transcoding, though its higher overclock compensates.
- A Bigger Budget For A Better PC
- Motherboard, CPU, And RAM
- Graphics, Case, And Power
- SSD, Hard Drive, And Optical Drive
- The Build
- Test Settings
- Benchmark Results: 3DMark And PCMark
- Benchmark Results: SiSoftware Sandra
- Benchmark Results: Crysis And F1 2010
- Benchmark Results: Just Cause 2 And Metro 2033
- Benchmark Results: Audio And Video Encoding
- Benchmark Results: Productivity
- Power, Heat, And Efficiency
- Are Liquid-Cooled Graphics Cards Worth The Extra Expense?