PCI-Express interface block diagram of E7525 chipset
The E7525 is manufactured in 90 nm, contained within a flip-chip BGA-casing (ball grid array) and connected to the motherboard via 1077 balls. The integrated CPU interface now operates at a clockspeed of 200 MHz (FSB800), whereby slower clockspeeds such as 133 MHz (FSB533) are no longer supported. Consequently, an older Xeon Prestonia, although it is pin-compatible, cannot be operated on an E7525 system.
The two-channel memory interface is now capable of working with DDR2 400. Here a conservative path has been taken, as DDR2 533, as registered DRAM and ECC, is still not a Jedec Standard. Moreover, it is still possible to use DDR333 or DDR266, but non-registered DIMMs cannot be operated any more - this was still feasible with the previous chipset, E7505.
DDR2-400 memory modules of Infineon, registered, with ECC - recognizable by the suffix "x72", which stands for the increased number of memory bits.
2 GB random access memory is the required minimum for workstation applications in most cases.
- AMD Is Winning
- AMD Opteron Processor
- One, Two, Four... Or How About Eight CPUs?
- One, Two, Four... Or How About Eight CPUs? Continued
- 64 Bits: Windows XP X64 Edition Free
- 1, 2, 4... Or How About 8 CPUs? Continued
- Chipset Platform: AMD 8100 + A8151 + A8131/8132 + A8111
- Chipset Platform: AMD 8100 (A8151 + A8131/8132 + A8111), Continued
- What's Next?
- Intel Xeon Processor With Nocona Core
- HyperThreading As In The Past
- Heat Loss Decreases With Demand-based Switching
- Psst! EM64T Is Here
- Intel's Ideal Platform: E7525 + 6300ESB + 6700PXH + ICH5R + IOP332
- Not Downward Compatible
- Not Downward Compatible, Continued
- Platform Alternative I: Intel 875P + 6300ESB
- Platform Alternative II: Intel E7505 + P64H2 + ICH4
- Platform Alternative II: Intel E7505 + P64H2 + ICH4, Continued
- Test Hardware
- NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400 (PCI Express)
- A Board For The Opteron: Tyan K8W
- Xeon Board: Supermicro X6DAE-G2 For Nocona
- Mains Adaptors And Heatsinks
- Test Setup
- Benchmarks Used
- Benchmark Programs In Detail
- Benchmark Programs In Detail, Continued
- Benchmark Results
- 3DSMAX 6
- Maya 5
- Newtek Lightwave
- Mainconcept MPEG Encoder
- Microsoft Movie Maker
- Cool Edit Pro
- SPECopc Viewperf (Synthetic)
- SPECopc Viewperf, Continued
- SiSoftware Sandra 2004 (Synthetic)