Now, let's consider the minimum FPS results. Here, a 10 FPS delta between 20 FPS and 30 FPS might mean the difference between playability and a slide show.
The results are more tightly knit than the average benchmarks were, but differences here are more meaningful. Considering 60 FPS the usable limit, at 1280x1024, the Core i7-920 has a slight lead in Far Cry 2 and a more significant advantage in World in Conflict. The Stalker and Crysis results are equal for all intents and purposes.
As the resolution is increased, the story doesn't change much. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat demonstrates an affinity for the Athlon II X3 440 system that really shows itself at 1920x1080, but disappears at 2560x1600 when the graphics subsystem becomes a major bottleneck.
- Why Pay More?
- How Much Game Performance Can We Perceive?
- Game Performance Targets
- Test Systems And Benchmarks
- Average FPS Benchmarks: Single Radeon HD 5850
- Minimum FPS Benchmarks: Single Radeon HD 5850
- Average FPS Benchmarks: Radeon HD 5870 In CrossFire
- Minimum FPS Benchmarks: Radeon HD 5870 In CrossFire
- Average FPS Benchmarks: Athlon II X3 440 In CrossFire Vs. Core i7-920 With A Single Card
- Minimum FPS Benchmarks: Athlon II X3 440 In CrossFire Vs. Core i7-920 With A Single Card