Everybody has a virus scanner, right? Let's see how varying amounts of CPU cores will handle an AVG virus scan.
AVG scales very well with multiple CPU cores, just like it did in our previous article with the Core 2 Quad Q6600. Now let's move on to file compression.
While WinZip appears to be limited to a single thread, WinRAR performance scales very well with multiple CPU cores. This is a bit surprising because WinRAR didn't show much of a multi-threading capability when we tested it on the Core 2 Quad Q6600, where it maxed out performance at two CPU cores.
- Time To Follow-Up
- Test Methodology: How Do You Make It A Fairer Fight?
- Test System And Benchmarks
- Synthetic Benchmarks: 3DMark And PCMark Vantage
- Synthetic Benchmarks: SiSoftware Sandra
- Application Benchmarks: Audio Encoding
- Application Benchmarks: Video Encoding And Image Rendering
- Application Benchmarks: General Usage
- Game Benchmarks
- Multitasking Benchmarks
- Simulated Dual-Core Versus Actual Dual-Core Comparison
- Performance Analysis