The fact that we use OpenCL acceleration in WinZip 17 helps keep those results pretty close, since the Radeon HD 7850 remains constant throughout testing. However, the CPU-oriented benchmarks are far more affected by our shift from Pentium to Core i5.
We really like that Corel went back and retooled WinZip to better utilize available processing resources. It's now quite a bit more competitive next to WinRAR and 7-Zip, both of which use the quad-core chip to slash the time it takes to compress our 1.3 GB folder of random files.
- Gunning For Gold At $600
- CPU And Cooler
- Motherboard And Memory
- Graphics Card And Hard Drive
- Case, Power Supply, And Optical Drive
- Assembling Our Budget-Oriented Box
- Test System Configuration And Benchmarks
- Results: Synthetics
- Results: Battlefield 3 And The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Results: F1 2012 And Far Cry 3
- Results: Audio And Video
- Results: Adobe Creative Suite
- Results: Productivity
- Results: Compression
- Power Consumption And Temperatures
- Gaming Performance Summary
- Did We Accomplish Our Mission?