We’re going to abbreviate MSI’s excessively-long name by referring to this high-end 1 GB model as the R6950 PE OC. The card’s 912-V246-047 model number is nearly as short, though less descriptive and not used by many of MSI’s sellers.
On the other hand, MSI’s twin-fan cooler is almost as long as the card’s name. This part extends nearly 1.2” past the end of the 9.5” circuit board for a total mounting length of 10.8”. A long steel brace prevents excessive bowing above the heavy aluminum fan shroud.
MSI makes two key advancements over its similarly-oversized competitor by offering dual DisplayPort connectors and dual BIOS chips. This is, in fact, the only dual-BIOS design we’ve seen on a shortened circuit board, allowing tuners to recover from a failed card BIOS flash to at the flip of a switch.
MSI doesn’t shoot for the sky with its GPU clock, though 850 MHz is still a respectable increase from AMD’s standard 800 MHz. MSI does, however, take the top position in memory overclocking with its GDDR5-5200 data rate.
MSI doesn’t offer any free games with the 1 GB R6950 PE OC, but does supply a single mini-to-full-sized DisplayPort adapter. Whether that’s worth more than the free games from certain competitors depends on how much you values those free games.
One additional value-added feature is MSI’s industry-standard three-year warranty, which is 50% longer than the coverage from competitors handing out free games.
- Radeon HD 6950 1 GB: But It Has Less Memory!
- Gigabyte GV-R695OC-1GD
- HIS IceQ X HD 6950 1 GB
- MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III 1GD5 Power Edition/OC
- Sapphire HD 6950 1 GB GDDR5 PCIE
- XFX HD-695X-ZDFC
- Test Setup And Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: Aliens Vs. Predator
- Benchmark Results: F1 2010
- Benchmark Results: H.A.W.X. 2
- Benchmark Results: Just Cause 2
- Benchmark Results: Lost Planet 2
- Benchmark Results: Metro 2033
- Benchmark Results: 3DMark 11
- Average Performance Analysis
- Power, Heat, And Noise
- Efficiency And Performance Value
- Which Radeon HD 6950 1 GB Should You Buy?