We used the same 750 W PC Power and Cooling power supply for both systems, which makes the differences even more significant. The 2010 system requires roughly half of the 2007 machine's idle power. Most power savings can be found on the processor side, but the graphics card and the motherboard also contribute significantly.
The difference in peak power is equally impressive. The 2010 system with the Core i7-870 requires less than 199 W at peak load (CPU load only), which is 70% of the Core 2 Extreme’s power consumption. In other words, you get much improved performance for less power. This should have quite an impact on efficiency.
- Old Vs. New: Powerful Systems From 2007 And 2010 Compared
- The 2007 System: Intel P35 Express
- 2007 Components: Core 2 QX6700, GeForce 8800GTS, WD Raptor
- The 2010 System: Intel P55 Express
- 2010 Components: Core i7-870, Radeon HD 5870, G.Skill Phoenix SSD
- Test Setup
- Benchmark Results: Synthetics
- Benchmark Results: 3DMark And PCMark Vantage
- Benchmark Results: Gaming
- Benchmark Results: Applications
- Benchmark Results: Power Consumption
- Benchmark Results: Efficiency