All three drives have similar access times.
WD has been strong in I/O operations per second (IOPS), and the 7,200 RPM drives cannot beat the Scorpio drives. However, notebook drives are typically not optimized for database scenarios.
The same applies to the following I/O tests.
- Speedy Notebook Hard Drives
- Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 (HTS725050A9A364, 500GB)
- Toshiba MK5056GSY (500GB)
- Test Setup, Comparison Table, And Throughput Diagrams
- Benchmark Results: Throughput, Streaming, And Interface Performance
- Benchmark Results: Access Time And I/O Performance
- Benchmark Results: Application Performance (PCMark Vantage)
- Benchmark Results: Power Consumption And Efficiency