ATI has released a new Catalyst driver for ATI based graphic cards:
The new WHQL Catalyst driver release fixes a couple of issues in certain games and applications and ATI promises performance increases for Direct3D and OpenGL games. The game Doom3 will run up to 12% faster, ATI claims.
Here's a snip from the Catalyst 4.8 release notes:
- Direct3D driver efficiency has improved considerably. Significant performance gains are noted in multiple "CPU-bound" cases, including 3DMark2001, Aquamark 3, Comanche4, Dungeon Siege, and Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004. Typical improvements are in the 1-5% range.
- OpenGL driver efficiency is also improved. Older OpenGL games such as Quake III Arena and Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory show small improvement (1-2%) at low resolutions. Call of Duty framerates are up approximately 4%. Doom3 improves considerably more (as much as 12% on some product configurations) as a result of the same software efficiency improvements.
Fixed in this driver:
- 3D Mark03 : Display corruption is no longer noticed when running the Trolls Lair test 3 under Windows XP
- Beyond Divinity :Playing the game with FSAA set to 2x no longer results in display corruption when scrolling the display by moving the mouse to the left of the display
- High Heat Baseball 2003 : The display no longer loses sync when exiting or changing player characters in the game High Heat Baseball 2003 under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 series installed
- Madden NFL 2003 : The game no longer fails to respond under Windows XP when an ATI RADEON 9800 XT is installed and attempting to set the Truform slider to Application Preference
- Need for Speed Underground :Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON 9000/9200 installed no longer results in the road ahead not being lit up by the car's headlights
- Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow :Display corruption is no longer noticed when launching a multiplayer game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON 9200 installed
- Thief 3 :Inconsistent lighting and shadow flicker is no longer noticed when playing the game under Windows XP
- Unreal Tournament 2004 : Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X600 series installed no longer results in game corruption being displayed when setting Anti-Aliasing to 4x and having the display properties set to 1600x1200 32bpp
Download: ATI Catalyst Driver v4.8