The two drives on the top of this chart spin at 7,200 RPM. The second is Hitachi’s Deskstar E7K1000, but watch the distance to the closest competitor. The Seagate Barracuda LP at 1 TB and 2 TB is extremely close at its maximum, but falls a bit behind in average and minimum transfer rates. None of the new drives fall behind 100 MB/s peak read throughput, and they all deliver at least roughly 50 MB/s.
The same statements are valid for writes, although the performance numbers vary slightly.
Streaming Read/Write Throughput
- New HDDs: High Efficiency, High Reliability, High Capacity
- Hitachi Deskstar E7K1000 (1 TB)
- Samsung Spinpoint F2 EcoGreen, 1 TB (HD103SI)
- Seagate Barracuda LP, 500 GB To 2 TB
- Western Digital RE4, 2 TB (WD2002FYPS)
- Drive Comparison Table And Test Setup
- Throughput Diagrams
- Benchmark Results: Sequential Read/Write Performance
- Benchmark Results: Access Time And I/O Performance
- Benchmark Results: PCMark Vantage Application Performance
- Benchmark Results: Power Consumption
- Results: Efficiency, Temperature And Noise