Skip to main content

AMD Announces Radeon R7 265 Graphics Card

When AMD announced its Radeon R7 250X we weren't surprised, since rumors already surfaced long before the card made it to an announcement. This time though, AMD has crept up on us with the Radeon R7 265 graphics card, skipping all excitement and jumping straight to the official announcement.

The Radeon R7 265 is the highest-performing graphics card from AMD's mid-range R7 series of graphics cards, and is set to compete with the GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost and the upcoming GTX 750 Ti. It is meant to replace the Radeon HD 7850, though it carries slightly elevated GPU and memory clocks.

The GPU features a total of 1024 stream processors, which can run at speeds of up to 925 MHz on reference boards. The memory will run at an effective speed of 5.6 GHz, though remaining at 2 GB over a 256-bit memory interface.

Typically, the graphics card will consume up to 150 W, meaning that a six-pin PCIe power connector will be required to power the card.

The card will hit shelves soon, with MSRP pricing set at $150.

  • de5_Roy
    stupid rebadging. amd shouldn't have phased out radeon hd 7850 2GB in the first place. still, we get two hugely powerful gfx cards (r7 265 and r9 270) only needing single 6 pin pcie power connector.
    Reply
  • AnEwG
    I hope you will review it once it comes out!
    Reply
  • jin_mtvt
    de5_Roy " ONLY NEEDING SINGLE 6 PIN " ??? what exactly are you trying to suggest here ??
    Reply
  • AnEwG
    The HD 7850 needs 2 6 pin connectors but that gives it a higher headroom for overclocking (I think). while the R7 265 has lower power consumption and slightly better performance than HD 7850 when they are both at stock.

    Edit: Scratch that the HD 7850 consumes slightly less power. It is basically an overclocked HD 7850.
    Reply
  • InvalidError
    I wasn't expecting to see a 256bits RAM card in the R7-series... at least not until the 3xx models.
    Reply
  • de5_Roy
    12670853 said:
    de5_Roy " ONLY NEEDING SINGLE 6 PIN " ??? what exactly are you trying to suggest here ??
    both gfx cards can run on lower wattage psus but deliver a lot of performance without needing much power.
    12670883 said:
    The HD 7850 needs 2 6 pin connectors but that gives it a higher headroom for overclocking (I think). while the R7 265 has lower power consumption and slightly better performance than HD 7850 when they are both at stock.
    radeon hd 7850 had single 6 pin pcie connector. radeon hd 7870 had 2x 6 pin power connectors.
    Reply
  • AnEwG
    12670924 said:
    12670853 said:
    de5_Roy " ONLY NEEDING SINGLE 6 PIN " ??? what exactly are you trying to suggest here ??
    both gfx cards can run on lower wattage psus but deliver a lot of performance without needing much power.
    12670883 said:
    The HD 7850 needs 2 6 pin connectors but that gives it a higher headroom for overclocking (I think). while the R7 265 has lower power consumption and slightly better performance than HD 7850 when they are both at stock.
    radeon hd 7850 had single 6 pin pcie connector. radeon hd 7870 had 2x 6 pin power connectors.

    My mistake.
    Reply
  • rolli59
    Being a Curacao based card surprising they did not call it R9 265 since it is a cut down R9 270 not tweaked Bonaire 260x.
    Reply
  • spartanmk2
    If this comes with 2 free games (Thief!) this just may be my upgrade from my now kaput GTX460.We'll see.
    Reply
  • RoryRaptr
    Getting anything with AMD products now days isn't a good deal. Take Raptr the AMD Gaming Evolved APP for AMD graphics owners.They've gone and erased all the points for all the users and given them lower value points.Using Raptr the desktop app users could earn points to get Graphics cards and Games. We are now finding our accounts and points being changed to significantly lower points. Why because AMD and Raptr does want users to get their rewards in the form of games, which many users were close to getting. They basically stole users points.
    Reply