Page 1:There's Always Room For More
Page 2:Graphics, Motherboard, And CPU
Page 3:Case, Power, And CPU Cooler
Page 4:DRAM, SSD, HDD, And ODD
Page 5:Hardware Installation
Page 6:Overclocking: Hot Air Is Bad, OK?
Page 7:Test System And Benchmarks
Page 8:Results: 3DMark And PCMark
Page 9:Results: SiSoftware Sandra
Page 10:Results: Battlefield 3 And Far Cry 3
Page 11:Results: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim And F1 2012
Page 12:Results: Audio And Video Encoding
Page 13:Results: Adobe Creative Suite
Page 14:Results: Productivity
Page 15:Results: File Compression
Page 16:Power, Heat, And Overall Performance
Page 17:Is Our Three-Way SLI-Based Setup Efficient? Can We Even Talk Value?
After following the installation method mentioned in its review, Noctua's NH-D14 presented a rare but recurring theme. Contact between the CPU cooler’s fan clips and a graphics card could have caused an electrical short if I’d powered-up the platform.
The protrusions are finger hooks that aid in fan installation and removal. Luckily, you only need to unhook one side of the fan in order to slide it over for removal. I used a pair of pliers to flatten this part of the clip. But be careful. Unlike mild-steel wire, the fan retainer appears to be tempered, and will likely break if bent too far.
While the top card can still be pushed over far enough to touch the cooler, that probably won’t happen when everything gets screwed down. Besides, it probably wouldn’t be a problem if the parts did touch, since the closest point is now between the GPU cooler support bracket and CPU cooler fins. That possible contact point is grounded on both sides.
Everything fits as it should, and we even have enough room to add a second front fan if needed. Since the PC-9N isn’t designed to hide cables, I turned the removable drive cage sideways and looped the extra length there.
- There's Always Room For More
- Graphics, Motherboard, And CPU
- Case, Power, And CPU Cooler
- DRAM, SSD, HDD, And ODD
- Hardware Installation
- Overclocking: Hot Air Is Bad, OK?
- Test System And Benchmarks
- Results: 3DMark And PCMark
- Results: SiSoftware Sandra
- Results: Battlefield 3 And Far Cry 3
- Results: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim And F1 2012
- Results: Audio And Video Encoding
- Results: Adobe Creative Suite
- Results: Productivity
- Results: File Compression
- Power, Heat, And Overall Performance
- Is Our Three-Way SLI-Based Setup Efficient? Can We Even Talk Value?