Which GPU Is Best for Mining Ethereum? AMD and Nvidia Cards, Tested

Tom's Hardware's Optimized GPU/GDDR5 Settings

In addition to recording the performance of each card at stock clock rates and after memory overclocking, we also tried to optimize the GPU/GDDR5 frequencies and GPU voltage to achieve the highest hash rate possible at the lowest power consumption. In other words, we shot for the best possible efficiency in a search for each board's sweet spot.

The table below includes all of the settings we used. Of course, each card is different, so these parameters are specific to our samples. Still, they roughly illustrate what each architecture is capable of.

It's definitely possible to push efficiency even further. For example, you can fight for lower voltages, reducing power consumption at a given clock rate. But your success rate is going to be situational, and largely dependent on luck.

Optimal Settings For Each Card

Model
MH/s
Power Consumption
GPU
GDDR5
MSI GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G

14.6
53W
1366 MHz
(1.043V)
2125 MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1060 3G

23.3
71W
1152 MHz
(0.843V)
2275 MHz
MSI GTX 1060 6G

24.1
100W
1442 MHz
(0.981V)
2304 MHz
Asus GTX 1060 Strix OC 6G

23.5
74W
1177 MHz
(0.762V)
2352 MHz
Asus RX 580 OC 4G

24.0
120W
1140 MHz
(0.937V)
1900 MHz
BIOSmod
24.7
120W
1140 MHz
(0.937V)
1925 MHz
MSI RX 580 Gaming 4G

22.3
120W
900 MHz
(0.943V)
2000 MHz
BIOSmod
29.1
143W
1155 MHz
(0.943V)
2075 MHz
Asus RX 570 Strix Gaming OC 4G

23.9
109W
1040 MHz
(0.931V)
1925 MHz
BIOSmod
27.4
112W
1020 MHz
(0.887V)
2000 MHz
MSI RX 560 Aero ITX OC 4G

11.2
38W
949 MHz
1750 MHz
BIOSmod14.6
48W
1094 MHz
2000 MHz
Sapphire RX 560 Pulse OC 4G

11.3
42W
949 MHz
1750 MHz
BIOSmod12.5
43W
949 MHz
1775 MHz
Sapphire RX 550 Pulse 4G

9.7
47W
999 MHz
1975 MHz
BIOSmod10
47W
949 MHz
1975 MHz
XFX RX 480 8G

26.8
136W
1075 MHz
(0.987V)
2225 MHz
BIOSmod
29.6
140W
1075 MHz
(0.987V)
2150 MHz
MSI RX 470 Gaming X 4G

21.8
115W
1125 MHz
(0.987V)
1750 MHz
BIOSmod
24.8
120W
1125 MHz
(0.987V)
1750 MHz
Sapphire RX 470 Mining 4G

22.6
117W
900 MHz
1850 MHz
BIOSmod30.2
143W
1170 MHz
2150 MHz
XFX R9 390 8G

22.6
182W
800 MHz
(1.047V)
1500 MHz

MORE: The Ethereum Effect: Graphics Card Price Watch

MORE: How To Mine Ethereum Now

MORE: Experiment: Build a (Profitable) Ethereum Mining Rig From Spare Parts

MORE: Top 25 Cryptocurrencies By Market Cap

MORE: Best Graphics Cards

This thread is closed for comments
40 comments
    Your comment
  • kubex.00714
    Do you know why my gtx970 is stuck at 10 Mh/s?
  • Integr8d
    I like hot Toms laments the prices of GPUs, due to the mining craze, and then publishes articles like this...
  • derekullo
    507472 said:
    I like hot Toms laments the prices of GPUs, due to the mining craze, and then publishes articles like this...

    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.
    If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.
    If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
  • WyomingKnott
    Add some workstation cards to the review. If they turn out to be hashmasters, it would relieve the strain on the graphics card market.

    fat chance.
  • derekullo
    51219 said:
    Add some workstation cards to the review. If they turn out to be hashmasters, it would relieve the strain on the graphics card market. fat chance.


    A titan V would have handily crushed any of the cards here with its 70+ MH/s Eth rate.

    https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-titan-v-volta-gv100-gpu-review?page=5

    But when it comes to making your money back you use:
    Cost of graphics card / Megahashes per second (Easy to understand formula, real formula at the bottom)

    For the Geforce 1060 that comes out to roughly

    $400 / 25MH/s or 16 dollars per megahash (I was able to buy 4 1060s for about $300 each a few months ago. Score!!!)

    For the Geforce Titan V that comes out to roughly

    $5000 / 82MH/s or 61 dollars per megahash.

    As you can see it would take at least 3.8 times as long for a Titan V to pay itself off, not including the power cost.

    This isn't the most true comparison due to not taking power into account, but still gives an easily understandable way of seeing why a $5000 GPU isn't worth mining with.

    You could have simply bought 3 Geforce 1060s and had a similar hash rate for cheaper.

    The goal here being to make back the price of the graphics cards, then everything else is gravy.


    Ideally I would have used the formula of

    Cost of graphics card / Spreadsheet calculated monthly income taking power and other fluctuations into account.

    to calculate on average how long a graphics card would take to pay itself off.

    You can also use the calculator on https://whattomine.com/ to quickly calculate the "Spreadsheet calculated monthly income"
  • aquielisunari
    Sun Tzu
    Quote:
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
  • aquielisunari
    Bad job Tom's. Just add fuel to the GFX card debacle. Irresponsible and just wrong. First the user must go out and OVERSPEND on a GFX card and then follow this article and start mining and increase the shortages even further. Hm, good job Tom, good job.
  • derekullo
    481389 said:
    Bad job Tom's. Just add fuel to the GFX card debacle. Irresponsible and just wrong. First the user must go out and OVERSPEND on a GFX card and then follow this article and start mining and increase the shortages even further. Hm, good job Tom, good job.


    Tom's gave you all the information needed for you to decide whether to mine or not.

    Let me paint it a bit simpler.

    Lets assume you believe the price of Ethereum is going to stay at what it is today, currently $709, forever.

    Plugging in all that information into whattomine.com gives us:

    https://whattomine.com/coins/151-eth-ethash?utf8=%E2%9C%93&hr=22.5&p=90.0&fee=1.0&cost=0.06&hcost=400&commit=Calculate

    (0.06$/kWh is my power cost in my area)

    Or $38.78 monthly profit or a 309 day repayment.

    If you are confident that Ethereum's price will stay the same or maybe even rise then you could expect to recoup your $400 purchase in at max 309 days.

    If 309 days is too long to wait or you are unsure about cryptocurrencies then stay out of the water.
  • WyomingKnott
    @aquielisunari
    I don't think that Tom's is going to advance mining much; our longtime enthusiast members mostly won't get into it and it's widely enough known already. A little extra knowledge for those of us on the sidelines and, who knows, maybe miners will concentrate on the most efficient cards and the price of the rest will go down. Not an issue for me, I'm running a fanless GT430, so what do I care about current prices?
  • aquielisunari
    51219 said:
    @aquielisunari I don't think that Tom's is going to advance mining much; our longtime enthusiast members mostly won't get into it and it's widely enough known already. A little extra knowledge for those of us on the sidelines and, who knows, maybe miners will concentrate on the most efficient cards and the price of the rest will go down. Not an issue for me, I'm running a fanless GT430, so what do I care about current prices?


    Just seemed inappropriate is all. But it is trendy as all get out. i know Tom has to be unbiased so even if the miners have single-handedly ruined pricing, put most GFX cards out of reach of many users and basically just bleeped things up Tom's can't get personal. They are earning money. Putting food in their kid's tummies and all that. Who wouldn't like a little extra on the side. My 1080 Ti was purchased at($10 less) than MSRP back in January.

    Talk about big, bad and beautiful, not to mention cool. I considered mining for a short period of time, but I didn't go to the darkside. Gaming with my GPU in the 30's and 40's took some time to get used to.
  • caamsa
    So now Tom's is having a if you can't beat them join them moment.
  • AnimeMania
    If NVidia and AMD released their high-end cards 1080Ti, Vega 65, etc. with 3.5GB of RAM and a lower price to reflect less gRAM. These wouldn't be of interest to miners while still being of use to gamers. Do you think gamers would buy them?
  • aquielisunari
    1839266 said:
    If NVidia and AMD released their high-end cards 1080Ti, Vega 65, etc. with 3.5GB of RAM and a lower price to reflect less gRAM. These wouldn't be of interest to miners while still being of use to gamers. Do you think gamers would buy them?


    Not at all. Top end gaming can exceed 3.5GB of VRAM.

    The 1060 6GB is a mid-range card. Ditto with the 4/580 8GB. Then we go to look at better cards and they only have 3.5GB of VRAM. Not going to work.
  • TJ Hooker
    1839266 said:
    If NVidia and AMD released their high-end cards 1080Ti, Vega 65, etc. with 3.5GB of RAM and a lower price to reflect less gRAM. These wouldn't be of interest to miners while still being of use to gamers. Do you think gamers would buy them?

    Quite the opposite I'd think. Gamers purchasing high end cards wouldn't want them to be hamstrung by a lack of VRAM to play at higher resolutions, whereas I don't think most mining algorithms would be significantly affected. The only concern would be Eth DAG size reaching 3.5 GB, but it's entirely possible it'll go PoS and end eth mining before then anyway. And regardless, you can always mine a different coin.

    Also, this calculator shows that DAG size will only reach the point to render 3GB unusable around the end of this year (block ~6.9 million, epoch 231), not epoch 180 like shown in the article. Not sure which to trust...
    https://investoon.com/tools/dag_size
  • mac_angel
    I'm confused why you think you can't mod NVidia GPU bios's
  • Finstar
    You'll either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a miner.
  • TJ Hooker
    169108 said:
    I'm confused why you think you can't mod NVidia GPU bios's

    From what I've heard you can't mod the BIOS on GTX 10 series cards, which are the only Nvidia cards worth using for eth mining anyway. Do you have a source showing otherwise?
  • aquielisunari
    1636679 said:
    169108 said:
    I'm confused why you think you can't mod NVidia GPU bios's
    From what I've heard you can't mod the BIOS on GTX 10 series cards, which are the only Nvidia cards worth using for eth mining anyway. Do you have a source showing otherwise?


    I'm wondering why EVGA's 1080 Ti FTW3(both air and air and water cooled) have a dual BIOS if that is the case which I am fairly positive it is. I guess we just have an extra level of protection if we update the BIOS incorrectly.
  • ammaross
    Hashes per watt is absolutely not the metric you want to judge a card's merit on. Case and point: you pick an RX 560 and the ilk as the ultimate card, even at a pittance of hashes per card. Usually, the increased coins earned from the extra hashpower outstrips the extra power usage significantly (up until you hit that steep portion of the performance exponential curve). If you're scaling anywhere past a few cards or a single rig, 75W vs 100W on a card isn't your primary concern.
  • TJ Hooker
    481389 said:
    I'm wondering why EVGA's 1080 Ti FTW3(both air and air and water cooled) have a dual BIOS if that is the case which I am fairly positive it is. I guess we just have an extra level of protection if we update the BIOS incorrectly.

    Not sure. From a bit of googling, it sounds like you can still flash your BIOS with another signed BIOS, but you are unable to flashed a modded BIOS (due to it having an invalid signature). Maybe the dual BIOS is just to protect against a botched flash, or maybe there exist signed BIOSs out there that you can download and flash. Maybe the dual BIOS is just a standard feature for FTWs that got left on despite not being applicable. All I know is that I can't find any results when I search something like "GTX 1060 BIOS mod" (other than people saying you can't), and given how popular eth mining is you really think it wouldn't be hard to find results if that was a thing.
  • InvalidError
    More 'good news' for people hoping that chip prices will come down any time soon: silicon wafer manufacturers such as SUMCO and GlobalWafers have announced ~20% hikes in 300mm wafer prices due to on-going shortages with more possible hikes coming in 2019.
  • aquielisunari
    125865 said:
    More 'good news' for people hoping that chip prices will come down any time soon: silicon wafer manufacturers such as SUMCO and GlobalWafers have announced ~20% hikes in 300mm wafer prices due to on-going shortages with more possible hikes coming in 2019.


    Salty.
  • papality
    This is part of the problem. YOU, Tom's Hardware, are part of the problem.