The new build posts big numbers in 3DMark, especially when we overclock it. September’s configuration sure appeared powerful at the time. However, lackluster overclocking held it back.
Beyond graphics performance, we also see that the newer Core i7 facilitates better stock and overclocked results in 3DMark's CPU-oriented Physics module.
The new machine’s cheaper SSD nearly matches the high-end part used last quarter, shaving a few dollars off of the build cost in the process. See? Sometimes value does win!
As with September’s build, I reverted to Microsoft’s generic AHCI driver in overclocking mode to boost storage performance beyond what Intel's workstation-oriented RSTe allows.
- Making Tough Choices In Volatile Markets
- Graphics, Memory, And CPU
- Motherboard, CPU Cooling And Case
- Power Supply, SSD, Hard Drive, And Optical Drive
- Radiator Installation
- Finishing The Build
- Overclocking Through Firmware
- Final Touches
- Benchmarking Configurations
- Results: 3DMark And PCMark
- Results: SiSoftware Sandra
- Results: Battlefield 3 And Far Cry 3
- Results: F1 2012 And Skyrim
- Results: Audio And Video Encoding
- Results: Adobe Creative Suite
- Results: Productivity
- Results: File Compression
- Power, Heat, And Efficiency
- Value Conclusion