If You Don't Like Our Advice, Buy A Fire Extinguisher
So, What Did We Learn Today?
At the end of this little analysis, we can summarize our findings in five concise bullet points.
- Choosing the right capacity is often more effective than chasing a higher efficiency rating and ending up with the wrong PSU.
- Buying too big just to be on the safe side is counter-productive; it only makes sense if you actually need the reserves.
- Affordable 80 PLUS Gold and Bronze power supplies make sense in systems with a large power window.
- Don’t blindly believe the wattage numbers on the box. Be smart, think logically, check the numbers and do the math yourself.
- Stay away from offers that are too good to be true. You can’t get a good 500W power supply for 40 bucks. That “bargain” might just blow up in your face. Literally.
Don't Say We Didn't Warn You!
Consider this image a warning that’s only partly tongue-in-cheek. We hope our analysis helped clear up some common misconceptions and maybe even gave you a new perspective on the mundane world of power supplies. They may generate less excitement than CPUs and graphics, but cutting corners on power to save some money could cost you a lot more in the long run.