Launching Battlefield 3
|Overall Statistics||Battlefield 3: Launching|
|Read Operations||13 978|
|Data Read||317.54 MB|
|Data Written||12.98 MB|
|Disk Busy Time||2.58 s|
|Average Data Rate||128.16 MB/s|
Battlefield 3 requires 20 GB of free space to install, which is more than double Crysis 2's requirement. However, only a small portion of that data is used to launch the game. According to the summary stats, the exact figure is a little over 300 megabytes, which naturally consists of pure reads.
Although this is one of the most visually impressive games launched in 2011, there isn't a ton of I/O involved in starting it. About half of all accesses are randomly organized, and most are 4 KB in size at a queue depth of one. Given that hard drives don't perform as well when they're confronted with random access patterns, even at low queue depths, we're expecting a quantifiable performance improvement when we draw our comparison to magnetic storage.
- 93% of all operations occur at a queue depth of one
- 53% of all operations are random
- 42% of all operations are 4 KB in transfer size
- 16% of all operations are 8 KB in transfer size
- 11% of all operations are 16 KB in transfer size
- 15% of all operations are 32 KB in transfer size
- 11% of all operations are 128 KB in transfer size