We use HandBrake to transcode MPEG-2 into H.264 video at high quality. What takes five minutes on a Core i3 will require nine times longer on an Atom 230. Fortunately, the Atom D510 is much better here, but still requires four times the i3-530's processing time.
iTunes can convert digital audio (WAV) into AAC, which also requires significant time on Atom systems. We use the Terminator II soundtrack to test this type of workload.
Lame does very much the same, but it converts audio data into MP3 format.
- Power And Efficiency: Atom Versus Core i3
- The Predecessor: Atom 230 And ECS 945GCT-D
- Today: Atom D510 And Intel D510MO
- The Challenger: Core i3-530
- Zotac H55-ITX WiFi
- Processor Comparison Table
- Test Setup
- Benchmark Results: Applications
- Benchmark Results: Archiving
- Benchmark Results: Audio/Video
- Benchmark Results: Power Consumption
- Benchmark Results: Efficiency In Single-Threaded Applications
- Benchmark Results: Efficiency In Threaded Applications
- Benchmark Results: Overall Efficiency