AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Deal of a Lifetime: Six Cores for $80

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Image credit: Micro Center)

Micro Center stores around the country are looking to get rid of their remaining AMD Ryzen 5 2600X stock. For a limited three-day sale, the retailer is selling the CPU for $79.99 (opens in new tab) for in-store purchases. This is a new all-time low, beating its previous lowest price of $120. If you can get to a Micro Center store (there are only 25 (opens in new tab) in the U.S.), you have a chance to snag one of the best tech deals (opens in new tab) ever.

Introduced in 2018, the Ryzen 5 2600X (opens in new tab) is a second-generation Ryzen desktop CPU (opens in new tab)that's based on AMD's Zen microarchitecture and GlobalFoundries' 12nm manufacturing process. The processor is packed with with six cores (opens in new tab), 12 threads (opens in new tab) and 16MB of L3 cache (opens in new tab)

The Ryzen 5 2600X arrives with a 3.6 GHz base clock (opens in new tab)and a respectable boost clock that tops out at 4.2 GHz. However, the Ryzen 5 2600X features an unlocked multiplier so there's headroom to squeeze even more performance out of the six-core chip. The processor fits into motherboards (opens in new tab)with AMD's AM4 CPU socket (opens in new tab).

As far as other features go, the Ryzen 5 2600X comes with native support for dual-channel DDR4-2933 RAM (opens in new tab)kits and offers up to 16 PCIe 3.0 (opens in new tab) lanes for discrete graphics cards (opens in new tab) and four PCIe 3.0 lanes for NVMe storage.

The Ryzen 5 2600X has a 95W TDP (thermal design power). Therefore, you don't have to spend extra on a CPU cooler (opens in new tab) as AMD includes the Wraith Spire cooler with the processor. Still, we recommend investing in a decent aftermarket cooling solution if you plan to push the Ryzen 5 2600X to its limits.

Zhiye Liu
Zhiye Liu

Zhiye Liu is a Freelance News Writer at Tom’s Hardware US. Although he loves everything that’s hardware, he has a soft spot for CPUs, GPUs, and RAM.

• Dark Lord of Tech
    In store only , lame.
  • Nemesia
    I wish I had a Micro Center 5 mins from my house.
  • WildCard999
    Nemesia said:
    I wish I had a Micro Center 5 mins from my house.
    Closest one to me is about 85mins each way, I usually try to grab a few things when I go to make it worthwhile.
  • Nemesia
    WildCard999 said:

I would have bought 2 of those 2600x. I just bought a 2600 for a friend system at 150 dollars. 2 2600x for the same price. Wow. I'm jealous ;p
  • King_V
    Had this been available in December, I'd've made the drive. Though, for me, that's about 40-45 minutes. Well, probably longer than that in December.
  • Nemesia
    For me that's a 6 hours drive and I need to pass customs. :(
  • WildCard999
    Nemesia said:
    For me that's a 6 hours drive and I need to pass customs. :(
    Canada?
  • Nemesia
    WildCard999 said:
    Canada?

Yeah. Where I live we have a bestbuy and like 2 local small computer stores.
  • WildCard999
    Nemesia said:
    Yeah. Where I live we have a bestbuy and like 2 local small computer stores.
    Let's say if you did come down here to a Microcenter and bought some parts would it be difficult to bring those back over the border?

I went to Montreal years ago back when you didn't even need a passport and even then border crossing was pretty strict.
  • Nemesia
    WildCard999 said:

I have no idea. Might have to pay some duty / taxes? Not too sure but yeah I would need my passport.