AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Hits All-Time Low of $479 for Cyber Monday

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Deals Cover
(Image credit: Future)

One of the best CPUs for gaming or productivity, AMD's Ryzen 9 5900X offers 12 cores and 24 threads of 7nm goodness, along with a boost clock of 4.8 GHz. This  Zen 3 processor also supports PCIe 4.0 so you can use it with a blazing fast SSD. In our tests, the 5900X outpaced every other AMD chip in our CPU benchmarks hierarchy, even the more-expensive 5950X, in 1080p gaming.

The chip carries a list price of $549 and you can typically find it for around $524. However, right now, Amazon has it for an all-time low price of $479. That's the best Ryzen 9 5900X deal we've ever seen and one of the best holiday CPU deals this year.

Ryzen 9 5900X:  was $569, now $479 at Amazon

Ryzen 9 5900X: was $569, now $479 at Amazon
The Ryzen 9 5900X is a multi-core monster with 12 Zen 3 cores, running at a 3.7 GHz base clock and 4.8-GHz boost clock. The chip tops our CPU benchmark hierarchy, outperforming all others at 1080p gaming.

The Ryzen 9 5900X has excellent power efficiency compared to its Intel counterparts, but unlike the lesser members of the Ryzen 5000 family, it doesn't come with a cooler in the box, but most users in this price range wouldn't use a stock cooler anyway. That's probably for the better, as you can use one of the best CPU coolers to right-size the cooler for your build and to keep temperatures in check either at default frequencies or when overclocking.

The Ryzen 9 5900X is a 12-core/24-thread processor with a base clock of 3.7 GHz and a boost frequency of 4.8 GHz. However, in our tests, we found that it could easily boost to 5 GHz with adequate cooling. In addition, it features 64MB of L3 cache and a thermal design power (TDP) of 105 watts. Pairing the processor with one of the best X570 motherboards is a sure-fire way to build a powerhouse gaming or productivity rig.

Best AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Deals

You can find even more savings at our best Cyber Monday PC gaming deals page. We're also tracking the best Cyber Monday monitor deals, best Cyber Monday CPU deals, best Cyber Monday SSD deals, best Cyber Monday gaming laptop deals, best Cyber Monday keyboard deals, best Cyber Monday gaming mouse deals and the best Cyber Monday PC hardware deals overall. Makers and hobbyists will find sales by checking out the best Cyber Monday 3D printer deals, best Cyber Monday Raspberry Pi deals and best Cyber Monday robot deals. If you're shopping for a graphics card, we even have advice on how to find the best RTX 3080 deals, best RTX 3070 deals and best RTX 3060 deals you can find in this challenging market.

Brandon Hill

Brandon Hill is a senior editor at Tom's Hardware. He has written about PC and Mac tech since the late 1990s with bylines at AnandTech, DailyTech, and Hot Hardware. When he is not consuming copious amounts of tech news, he can be found enjoying the NC mountains or the beach with his wife and two sons.

• scottsoapbox
    Those "deals" are above MSRP.
  • Alvar "Miles" Udell
    With the 3D cache refresh of Zen 3 due out in short order, as well as the effects of Adder Lake's availability, and with Zen 3 based Threadripper CPUs inbound next year as well, it's probably the worst time to buy any AMD CPU at anything near the current sales prices.

$399 for a 5900X would be a different story...
  • VforV
    Alvar Miles Udell said:

$399 for a 5900X would be a different story...
    I got a 5600x at 240 euro (VAT included) as a BF deal a few days ago, and after I sell my 3600 the upgrade will cost me about 80 euros / $100.

I think that's the best deal this entire year for CPUs.

When Zen3D comes, yes Zen3 should get or already be cheaper, but I don't suspect much more cheaper than 5600x at 240 euro/$. Not to mention that by then my old 3600 will also drop in price in used market, so I won't be getting the same resale value as I do now.

Unless you want the best of the best and don't care about money (Zen3d or top Alder Lake), then buying Zen3 now at discount and not waiting 3 more months is absolutely the way to go.
  • spongiemaster
    scottsoapbox said:
    Those "deals" are above MSRP.
    MSRP of 5900x is $550. $484 from Amazon is well below that, but because of Alder Lake, it still isn't a good deal unless you're just looking to upgrade your CPU. I don't really see why we need all these "deals" threads for individual products. Just makes it a nightmare to navigate and find things. Because of all the shortages, we're not really going to see any truly worthwhile deals on anything electronic anyway.
  • wifiburger
    looks like a few models have price drops, but hard to get excited for an old overpriced cpu
  • Alvar "Miles" Udell
    VforV said:

I think that's the best deal this entire year for CPUs.

20-25% faster for $100 isn't a bad deal for sure. Also I disagree with waiting because as the Zen 3 Refresh will be the last for Socket AM4, with Zen 4 CPUs potentially being on shelves this time next year, and given its capabilities, especially on an X570/S chipset board, for people who will be buying it to go for several years it's definitely worth waiting for as long as possible.
  • VforV
    Alvar Miles Udell said:
    That why I said "Unless you want the best of the best and don't care about money (Zen3d or top Alder Lake)". - about waiting.

Translation: it means, if you care only about performance than, sure you wait for Zen3D, but you will also pay the most for that brand new top performance.

Buy if you are a best price / perf ratio (or close to it) kind of guy, like I am, buying Zen3 now (at discount) makes much more sense and then upgrading later to Zen3D (when Zen4 comes). Buying the last gen when the new gen comes it's the most sensible thing to do, while still keeping up with the tech and not being left too much behind.
  • Alvar "Miles" Udell
    What I'm saying is that it's better to skip Zen 3 and wait for Zen 3 Refresh to get to an attractive price, especially if Intel keeps aggressively pricing Adder Lake, and who would have ever thought that would happen, especially given that the GPU is the biggest bottleneck there is currently with even the relatively ancient 7700K not really holding back a RTX 3080 at higher resolutions and/or detail levels.
  • logainofhades
    scottsoapbox said:
    Those "deals" are above MSRP.

MSRP is $549.
    Microcenter has some decent price drops, if you happen to live near one.
  • VforV
    Alvar Miles Udell said:
    Well, considering the discounts that we have right now on Zen3, I'm curious if by the time Zen3D comes, Zen3 will drop even lower.
    I doubt it will drop even lower, thought... I think this current drop is pretty much it, just that it will be permanent and across all SKUs by that time.

Alder Lake is not selling as good as intel wanted and Zen3 is still selling good, even better with the discounts, so further more discounts are a slim chance... but we'll see.