Skip to main content

Nvidia Shield TV Pro Briefly Appears on Amazon Featuring Tegra X1+

(Image credit: Amazon)

The Nvidia Shield TV Pro appeared briefly on Amazon today before disappearing. That didn't stop the Android TV community from snagging a screenshot of the listing before it was taken down. According to the listing, the new Shield TV Pro comes with a myriad of upgrades—including the new Tegra X1+ chip which reportedly runs 25% faster than previous editions of the Shield.

Specs According to the Amazon Listing
SpecNvidia Shield TV Pro
CPUTegra X1+
RAM3 GB
Storage16 GB
USB2 USB 3.0 Ports
EthernetGigabit Ethernet
Wi-FiDual-band AC Wi-Fi
BluetoothBluetooth 5.0
RemoteBluetooth / IR
VideoDolby Vision
SoundDolby Atmos

 

The Nvidia Shield TV Pro comes with a newly designed remote which is compatible with both Alexa and Google Assistant. Don't worry if you can't find it—there's a locating function to help track it down.

The new Shield uses Dolby Atmos sound and Dolby Vision with 4K HDR streaming. You can expect all of your typical streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and Prime Video. The Shield also comes with Chromecast 4k built-in.

As with each edition of the Shield, you can play games from the Google Play Store with GeForce Now. The Shield TV Pro doesn't come with a controller, so you will need to buy one separately.

The Amazon listing reportedly showed a release date of October 28th, 2019. It's not clear if this date is accurate. We reached out to Nvidia for confirmation about the Amazon listing but have yet to receive a response. We will provide an update when and if we hear from the company.

  • AlistairAB
    I'll paste my Engadget comment here:

    The nVidia shield released when the iPhone 6 was the current model. Now the iPhone 11 is the current model: with it, the Manhattan benchmark has gone from 20 to 110 fps, so a 450 percent improvement over the same time period. If Apple can do it, I'm pretty sure nVidia could do the same. The new nVidia shield should be 450 percent faster for the same price, not 25 percent faster. Even the Raspberry Pi has seen much more improvement than the Shield in terms of speed. If Apple updates the Apple TV again to the A12X processor, I'm dumping my nVidia shield, I'm tired of their neglect of the platform (which considering how much Apple has neglected their potential, that's saying something). Roku and Apple TV for me. Even the $35 Raspberry Pi 4 has a faster CPU than the nVidia shield now.
    Reply
  • alquix
    you are completely ignoring the gpu aspect of this device. the iphone 6's gpu clocked 450mhz delivering 115 GFLOPS (FP32), while the 2015 tegra x1 gpu clocked 1000mhz with 512 GFLOPS. That's like comparing an RTX 2060 and a Titan RTX rig based on how the CPU it is pair with has evolved over time
    Reply
  • drivinfast247
    AlistairAB said:
    I'll paste my Engadget comment here:

    The nVidia shield released when the iPhone 6 was the current model. Now the iPhone 11 is the current model: with it, the Manhattan benchmark has gone from 20 to 110 fps, so a 450 percent improvement over the same time period. If Apple can do it, I'm pretty sure nVidia could do the same. The new nVidia shield should be 450 percent faster for the same price, not 25 percent faster. Even the Raspberry Pi has seen much more improvement than the Shield in terms of speed. If Apple updates the Apple TV again to the A12X processor, I'm dumping my nVidia shield, I'm tired of their neglect of the platform (which considering how much Apple has neglected their potential, that's saying something). Roku and Apple TV for me. Even the $35 Raspberry Pi 4 has a faster CPU than the nVidia shield now.
    If the Shield was as fast as the iPhone 11 and also $1000 would you be happy?
    Reply
  • AlistairAB
    drivinfast247 said:
    If the Shield was as fast as the iPhone 11 and also $1000 would you be happy?

    The Raspberry Pi has a faster CPU and is $35, what is your point? Maybe you should try to understand what I wrote. You're not buying the CPU by itself with the iPhone (which is $699) and the point was how EVERY ARM CPU maker except nVidia has released products with massive improvements in the last 5 years since the nVidia Shield's Note 4 2014 CPU.
    Reply
  • kinggremlin
    AlistairAB said:
    The Raspberry Pi has a faster CPU and is $35, what is your point? Maybe you should try to understand what I wrote. You're not buying the CPU by itself with the iPhone (which is $699) and the point was how EVERY ARM CPU maker except nVidia has released products with massive improvements in the last 5 years since the nVidia Shield's Note 4 2014 CPU.
    Serious question, is there anything the Shield does that would legitimately benefit from being 450% faster? How much power do you need to watch a 4k video with HDR and Dolby audio? The Shield is basically a video player, with video hardware decoding, what need is there for a high end CPU?
    Reply