At a company meeting, Paul Otellini reportedly told employees that Windows 8 is released before it is "fully ready", according to an article published by Bloomberg. However, getting Windows 8 ready now is the right decision and Microsoft can release updates afterwards to fix bugs.
It is not unusual that software ships with some bugs as many companies typically resort to an 80/20 strategy in which 80 percent is good enough and the remaining 20 percent too expensive to achieve. We should also remember that Microsoft also released Windows XP and Windows 7 in October to be able to make the Christmas season of sales. Vista was originally scheduled for an October 2006 release, but delayed to January 2007 due to critical bugs. Microsoft used "Express Upgrades" in October 2006 instead - and had to deal with a logistic disaster in early 2007. If Microsoft can avoid a delay for Windows 8, it will go to great lengths to do so, even if that means that Windows 8 will ship with some annoying bugs.
Of course, it is highly unusual that Otellini's remarks, if they were made in the reported way, are making it into the public. Windows 8 has already been criticized left and right and if Intel now suggests that the operating system still has bugs that need to be worked out, then more than just a few prospective computer buyers may decide to stick with Windows 7. That, of course, also means that Intel will be taking a hit in potential CPU sales as customers are delaying their purchases.
Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback
You installed a prerelease operating system across your organization's network?! Holy sh*t if I was the CIO/CISO of your company I would fire you on the spot.
I probably wouldn't roll it out to everyone before October 25th, but I'd definitely have a few workstations setup with it for compatibility testing in a large enterprise.
Yeah, a lot of companies' managements are very hesitant about upgrading.
Especially with beta software. Proposing a upgrade to a beta OS would get one laughed out of the conference room.
Don't forget to tip your waitperson, folks, and don't bring your kids to the 10:00 show...I work blue...