Skip to main content

Giada Launches High-End Mini PC with Haswell, GTX 650

First shown at Computex 2013 at the beginning of the month, Giada has reportedly launched the D2308, a new mini PC that crams Intel "Haswell" processors and Nvidia's GeForce GTX 650 GPU into a small form factor. This is ideal for consumers and businesses who want a lot of power, but can't afford the desktop or counter space.

"Using the latest 4th generation Intel (Haswell) Core i5/i7 CPU, with the powerful Nvidia GTX650 enthusiast GPU, Giada has created a high-end mini computing platform that is targeted at living room computer needs and CEO-level business environments," the company said. "The D2308 also features 3 antennas for maximum signal reception and wireless throughput with a maximum speed of 450 Mbps."

The D2308 currently isn't listed on the company's website, but the previous model, the D2305, has a slot-in type Blu-ray or DVD optical drive, depending on your wallet. This new model seems to offer the same along with support for Ultra HD content and two HDMI outputs. DVI, support for HDCP and an optional analog VGA interface are also provided for video signal output.

"The Giada D2308 offers unprecedented performance in its size group thanks to the modern single-chip system logic, the new Haswell architecture, giving a performance increase of approximately 15 percent over the earlier generation, with a TDP reaching only 70W," the company said. "It unit also has RST- Intel Rapid Storage Technology allowing enterprise solutions to integrate SBA onto the chipset for reliable, cost-efficient storage."

The D2308 comes equipped with two SO-DIMM slots supporting up to 16 GB of DDR3-1333/1600 RAM (1 GB of VRAM already onboard), two mini-PCIe slots, a slot for a 2.5 inch SATA drive, Gigabit Ethernet, and a 5.1 channel audio codec. Connectivity includes dual-band Wireless N and Bluetooth.

The back I/O panel of the D2308 includes jacks for headphones and a microphone, two USB 2.0 ports, three USB 3.0 ports, and a 4-in-1 card reader. The system is also equipped with a Phoenix EFI BIOS with support for an ACPI interface, and is fully compatible with Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP and many other popular operating systems.

Actual availability and pricing is unknown at this point, so stay tuned. The company's previous model, the Gaida D2305, is listed here, and can be purchased through Amazon and Newegg for around $759 USD to give you a ballpark price point for the new model.

  • samuelspark
    Not ASUS's mini GTX 670?
    Reply
  • funguseater
    "with the powerful Nvidia GTX650 enthusiast GPU"

    LOL all day.
    Reply
  • Spooderman
    Would that be a mobile 650, with a TDP that low?
    Reply
  • mortsmi7
    Oh nice, it has a GTX 740.
    Reply
  • Epsilon_0EVP
    11026984 said:
    Would that be a mobile 650, with a TDP that low?

    I think that refers to the processor's TDP. Marketing loves to use ambiguous statements like that. The GTX 650 has a 70W TDP by itself, I think
    Reply
  • elzafir
    Are you sure that ain't a GTX 650M? If so, It's a bargain, to get a MacBook Pro Retina performance for the price of a Mac Mini.

    There's no way they'll fit regular GTX 650 on that small box.

    The Haswell chip is also most likely a mobile chip.
    Reply
  • Epsilon_0EVP
    11027332 said:
    Are you sure that ain't a GTX 650M? If so, It's a bargain, to get a MacBook Pro Retina performance for the price of a Mac Mini.

    There's no way they'll fit regular GTX 650 on that small box.

    The Haswell chip is also most likely a mobile chip.

    I didn't really see the scale before, but the previous model is barely 10" long. I think you're right; there is just no way you could fit a desktop processor and graphics card in there, never mind all the other stuff. It explains the 70W TDP, too

    Reply
  • nukemaster
    With more and more cloud services and media streaming. Toss in BD and this could be a great media center.

    My media center has the "powerful" GTX 650 ti(hahahaaaa. I got it for its lower power when watching video and some light gaming.) and CUDA support helps with some programs too. Its not a bad card, but not going to push top end settings either.
    Reply
  • elzafir
    11027353 said:
    11027332 said:
    Are you sure that ain't a GTX 650M? If so, It's a bargain, to get a MacBook Pro Retina performance for the price of a Mac Mini.

    There's no way they'll fit regular GTX 650 on that small box.

    The Haswell chip is also most likely a mobile chip.

    I didn't really see the scale before, but the previous model is barely 10" long. I think you're right; there is just no way you could fit a desktop processor and graphics card in there, never mind all the other stuff. It explains the 70W TDP, too

    The optical drive slot gave out the scale.

    11027503 said:
    With more and more cloud services and media streaming. Toss in BD and this could be a great media center.

    My media center has the "powerful" GTX 650 ti(hahahaaaa. I got it for its lower power when watching video and some light gaming.) and CUDA support helps with some programs too. Its not a bad card, but not going to push top end settings either.

    If you look closely enough, this Giada actually has a BD drive.
    Reply
  • kartu
    And meanwhile somewhere at E3 AMD's APU is rendering this at runtime (I know, I know, "driver" issue and the need to pay premium for Intel's CPUs + Mobos as well as nVidia's "the way it was meant to pay more"):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqeuHGESZBA
    Reply