At first glance, the single GeForce GTX 470 in the current build doesn’t look bad compared to the previous system’s Radeon HD 5830 CrossFire solution. Looking a little deeper, though, we can see that the tougher 1920x1200 Extreme setting favors the dual-card CrossFire configuration by a notable margin. We’ll see if this trend continues in the actual game benchmarks.
All of the PCMark benchmarks favor this quarter's Core i5-750 platform compared to the Phenom II X3 720, even when the Phenom CPU is overclocked with four CPU cores enabled.
The Sandra-based benchmarks also suggest that the Core i5-750 is the heart of a stronger platform, although the overclocked and core-unlocked Phenom II does reach the Intel processor’s stock performance when overclocked.
Note that the memory bandwidth takes a hit on the Intel system when overclocked because the memory has to be run at a lower speed to maintain stability.
- The Balanced System
- CPU, Motherboard, And Cooler
- Video Cards, Power Supply, And Case
- Memory, Hard Drive, And Optical Drive
- Assembly And Overclocking
- Test System And Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: Synthetics
- Benchmark Results: Media Encoding
- Benchmark Results: 2D And 3D Graphics
- Benchmark Results: Productivity
- Benchmark Results: Crysis And Call Of Duty
- Benchmark Results: DiRT 2 And S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
- Power And Temperature Benchmarks