The CPU score is impacted by differing memory performance, but the differences between DDR3-1066 and DDR3-1600 are small.
Far Cry on a fast Core 2 Quad processor clearly benefits from fast DDR3 memory. Low latencies are most important for this game.
The difference in GTA IV is small, but it is there. Again, low latency wins.
The same statement also applies to Left 4 Dead: DDR3-1600 at tight timings wins, followed by other low latency configurations. High memory clock speed at relaxed timings still does well, but isn’t worth the premium price.
- DDR3 On Core 2 Quad: Which Speed And Timings Are Best?
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770
- Test System Details: Corsair & Crucial DDR3, Gigabyte X48-DQ6
- Memory Speeds And Timings
- Test Setup
- Results: Synthetic Benchmarks
- Results: 3DMark And 3D Games
- Results: Applications
- Results: Audio/Video Benchmarks