Note that the Geforce 6800 GT and Geforce 7950 GT run with the image quality set at Low (1280, 1680, 1920 pixels) and at Medium (1280 pixels), whereas the Geforce 8 and 9 were tested at High (1280, 1680, 1920 pixels) and Very High (1280 pixels). These settings are necessary for the older graphics card to be in a position to send a playable number of frames to the monitor. These differences mean that sometimes a weaker graphics chip can move up to a higher position in the rankings than a more powerful Geforce 8 or 9. The better frame rate is, in these cases, only achieved by reducing the image quality.
The Geforce 6800 GT does not react to increased CPU power. The Geforce 7950 GT needs at least 2.67 to 3.0 GHz, or more CPU cache, in order for the graphics performance to be fully exploited. The Geforce 6 and 7 only run with DirectX 9, which doesn’t make much difference as the graphics quality is set to Low; this means that there are few effects where you would actually see a difference.
The Geforce 9600 GT compares favorably with the more powerful Geforce 8 and 9. A CPU basic level of 2.67 GHz or a quad core processor should be used. The new G92 graphics cards cooperate much better when they have sufficient clocking rates available. Overclocking the CPU ekes out a couple of extra frames for the Geforce 8800 and Geforce 9800 GTX.
- Test Subjects: Four Generations of Nvidia Chips
- Comparison of Graphics Chips and Introduction of the Test Configuration
- Graphics Cards have More Potential
- CPU Power for the Graphics Cards
- 3D Performance for the CPU
- Benchmarks BlackSite Area 51 v1.2
- Call of Duty 4 v1.4
- Crysis v1.2
- Half Life 2 Episode 2
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X SP2
- Prey v1.4
- World in Conflict v1.05
- 3DMark06 1280x1024p v1.1.0
- What Advantages does Overclocking the CPU have for the Graphics Card?
- Overclocking the E2160 Processor to 3 GHz
- Overall Performance and Price Comparison
- Power Consumption, Noise Levels and Temperatures
- Overall Energy Consumption and Energy Saving
- 3D Performance Sorted According to Resolution and Anti-Aliasing
- Conclusions: Changing the Generation of Graphics Card has More Benefits