As mentioned on the WD Scorpio Blue's detail page, the drive has excellent power consumption figures. It requires very little idle power and it reached one of the best results when compared to other 7,200 and 5,400 RPM 2.5” hard drives. Its peak power is also still low enough to beat almost everyone else, except the Seagate Momentus 5400.5. Well done.
More and more hard drives offer low power idle modes, in which they switch off units, reduce the clock of on-board components or find other ways of reducing power consumption when there is nothing to do. In the case of the Scorpio Blue, we could not detect additional power savings after having the drive idle for 10 minutes. Others provide significantly more power savings in this scenario.
- Squeezing 500 GB Onto Two Platters
- WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB Details (WD5000BEVT)
- Test Setup And Transfer Diagram
- Throughput And Interface Performance
- Access Time and I/O Performance
- Application Benchmarks
- Power Consumption
- Efficiency With Workstation I/O
- Efficiency With Streaming Reads
- Efficiency With Video Playback & Conclusion