Hard Drive : 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB ST3500630AS in RAID 0
As we did in our prior System Builder Marathon, we chose two 500 GB hard disks in a striped RAID 0 configuration. This will give us both faster hard drive transfer performance and allow us to use the full capacity of both of our 500 GB disks, resulting in 1 TB of total storage.
Of course, if safety is your preference, you also have the option of using RAID 1 mode instead. This mirroring method provides the safety of data redundancy in case of a hard disk failure, at the expense of less hard drive space.
PC Case : Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
Cooler Master’s Cosmos 1000 is a close sibling to the Cosmos-S we reviewed in our last PC case round-up. In our opinion, the 1000 is improved over the S due to the superior hard disk storage bays that don’t require fiddling around with a fan assembly. Aesthetically, the silver Cosmos 1000 is beautiful and striking, although we do prefer the serious looking black and dark grey Cosmos-S in this respect.
Finally, the Cosmos 1000 is the cheaper of the two, and at $180 on sale, it’s hard to ignore the value and style it brings to the mid-range PC.
- Mid-Range: Compromising, But Still Powerful
- Meet Our CPU, For The Last Time
- Motherboard, Cooler, And Memory
- Hard Drive and Case
- Power Supply, Optical Drive, and Video Cards
- Assembly & Overclocking
- Test System & Benchmarks
- Synthetic Benchmarks
- Application Benchmarks: Media Encoding
- Application Benchmarks: 2D And 3D Rendering
- Application Benchmarks: Productivity
- Game Benchmarks: First-Person Shooters
- Game Benchmarks: Real-Time Strategy