The Dell Streak tablet phone has been available across the pond for some time now, and today the device has an official date and price for the U.S. market.
It's the 5-inch tablet that's got a 3G radio and room for a SIM card so that it can access wireless data networks as well as take calls and send texts. The Evo 4G's 4.3-inch screen is already massive for a phone, but Dell takes it even further with the 5-inch Streak.
It's also the least pocketable phone out there, but for those of you who make a habit of wearing cargo pants or carry around purses (or satchels) will likely appreciate the large screen – especially if you find yourself doing more data-related things on your phone rather than talking.
The one major weakness, at least for now, is that it's shipping with Android 1.6, which is quite disappointing considering how much better Android 2.2 is.
Here are the details straight from Dell:
* Orders for the Dell Streak Tablet open up for U.S. priority pre-sale registrants at www.dell.com/mobile this Thursday, August 12. General availability follows a day later at www.dell.com/mobile.
* The Dell Streak is available for $299.99 with new two-year AT&T contract†, and $549.99 without. Customers who purchase the Streak, and signed up during the pre-sale program, will receive a free second-day shipping upgrade. Customers who redeem their pre-sale coupon can purchase a Plantronics Bluetooth earpiece for 99 cents while supplies last.
* Integrated Google Maps with turn-by-turn navigation, street and satellite views
* A full screen browsing experience with a 5-inch capacitive multi-touch WVGA display
* Easily integrated social media apps: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube
* 5 MP Autofocus camera with dual LED flash, VGA front facing camera, removable battery, built-in Wi-Fi, 3G and Bluetooth connectivity options
* 2GB* of internal storage
* User accessible Micro SD expandable memory available up to 32GB*.
* Packaged with cushions made from 100 percent sustainable, compostable bamboo
* Android platform complete with Android Market and Dell user interface enhancements
* Powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon solution with integrated 1GHz processor
* 3G + Wi-Fi + Bluetooth
* UMTS / GPRS / EDGE class 12 GSM radio with link speeds of up to 7.2 Mbps*