2015 Hyundai Sonata: A Refined Entry In A Crowded Segment

Factory Tour: Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama

Most of the Tom's Hardware crew has been on at least one factory tour, whether to see motherboards being made, graphics cards assembled or SSDs put together. The downside to these is that they're largely the same process, regardless of which company's name is stamped on the box.

Hyundai took a page from the tech industry when it came to launching the 2015 Sonata, inviting U.S. media to Montgomery, Alabama to see the Sonata assembled and driven off the production line. Company representatives shuttled journalists from the hotel to the factory first thing in the morning to sit through an informative presentation on the Sonata. Afterwards we were asked to find a friend to pair up with for the tram tour and drive. We were asked to put on safety goggles and Sennheiser HDE 2020-D-II Tourguide headphones before proceeding into the many facilities that are key to assembling two of Hyundai’s key vehicles.

Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama, or HMMA for short, was the Korean automaker’s first U.S. manufacturing plant. The project was announced back in 2002 with a projected cost of $1 billion. HMMA opened its doors on May 20, 2005 and employs over 3000 workers, not counting new jobs created by local parts and components suppliers. The $1.7-billion plant includes three major facilities for stamping, painting and vehicle assembly. There’s even a two-mile test track that all vehicles have to endure after rolling off the production line, along with two separate engine shops.

HMMA manufactures the Elantra and new Sonata on the same line. When we were touring, the production ratio was two to one, with two Sonatas per Elantra rolling off the line. Even though the two vehicles ride on completely different platforms, they can be created this way thanks to sharing common parts and robots. It also helps that the chassis is produced elsewhere and brought into HMMA for final assembly.

Watching robots and humans build cars is quite entertaining. It’s mesmerizing to watch automation and manual intervention come together, putting the doors, glass, suspension and other components together with such precision and care.

Each vehicle is run through the paint booth with its doors on for consistency. They're subsequently removed and rejoined with the same vehicle later in the production process. The coolest thing I saw during the factory tour was a robotic parts cart that followed a car through most of its assembly. Even though it only hauls fasteners and miscellaneous small items, it’s pretty cool to see an autonomous parts cart employed in this manner.

At the end of the factory tour, Hyundai staged a bunch of new Sonatas for us to drive off the production line and onto our route. They weren't the ones we saw assembled, but rather standard press vehicles. We didn’t get to drive the Sonata on the two-mile test track either, which was a bummer. Nevertheless, the factory tour was a fun learning experience and I wouldn’t mind going on more of them.

This thread is closed for comments
22 comments
    Your comment
  • blackmagnum
    Thanks for the informative review. My next mid-sized sedan will definitely be a Toyota Camry.
  • cknobman
    Yuck, dont like the styling at all compared to the previous generation.
    To top it off the performance engine gets gimped.
  • tuanies
    749236 said:
    Thanks for the informative review. My next mid-sized sedan will definitely be a Toyota Camry.


    The Mazda 6 is still the best in my eyes, but the infotainment system they use is horrible. Toyota Entune is very dated as well.

    59464 said:
    Yuck, dont like the styling at all compared to the previous generation. To top it off the performance engine gets gimped.


    From what I've heard, the previous gen sold very well in the US but was a flop internationally, hence why they went back to more conventional styling. I don't expect them to sell many turbos this time around, or those that will don't care about raw output numbers.
  • punahou1
    My next car will NOT be connected to the internet or any other cloud based technology. I can see it now - terrorists hack into multiple cars and initiate an acceleration virus....
  • tuanies
    438265 said:
    My next car will NOT be connected to the internet or any other cloud based technology. I can see it now - terrorists hack into multiple cars and initiate an acceleration virus....


    Or compromise Tesla's Autopilot system remotely...
  • gbair
    The new steering wheel controls look pretty similar to the '14 Kia Optimas, which I didn't really like.
  • Kary K
    Not terribly impressed with the Apple solution if it requires USB. I probably won't like the Android solution either. but then I'm fairly happy with the various players being able to connect to a car stereo by BT. Smartphones change too much to buy a car based on what they are currently like.
  • hst101rox
    I wonder when the Sonata will be offered as a plugin hybrid not just hybrid and a lean burn engine not just Atkinson cycle
  • Ninjawithagun
    UGLY! What the hell were the design engineers thinking? Far worse design versus ALL of the previous generation body styles. I don't give a crap about the interior design, if the outside of my car is going to look like that? Hyundai really needs to consider firing the moron senior engineer that allowed this ugliness to go into production. Damn.
  • tuanies
    1791104 said:
    Not terribly impressed with the Apple solution if it requires USB. I probably won't like the Android solution either. but then I'm fairly happy with the various players being able to connect to a car stereo by BT. Smartphones change too much to buy a car based on what they are currently like.


    USB is a must IMO or you'll just have something very demanding draining your phone and pissed off customers wondering why their battery life sucks.

    1748327 said:
    I wonder when the Sonata will be offered as a plugin hybrid not just hybrid and a lean burn engine not just Atkinson cycle


    Its rumored to come soon IIRC.
  • hp79
    Thanks for reminding some idiots out there to use their turn signals. I see at least 2 of 10 people not using turn signals all the time. This is in Portland, Oregon area.
  • zubikov
    This looks like a desperate knock-off from a Ford Fusion. Watch Hyundai market the car with carefully-chosen slightly-better specs than other mid-size sedans. Thankfully I've had a chance to drive many sedans over the years, and I know that Hyundai is always the low end in every category.

    The 2015 Sonata also reminds me of Samsung's just-in-time attempts at copycat smartphones over the years. Can anyone in South Korea think original anymore?
  • tuanies
    47809 said:
    Thanks for reminding some idiots out there to use their turn signals. I see at least 2 of 10 people not using turn signals all the time. This is in Portland, Oregon area.


    I despise driving in downtown Portland. I understand pedestrians have right of way and everything, but does nobody look both ways before diving into the street while texting on their phone?

    285755 said:
    This looks like a desperate knock-off from a Ford Fusion. Watch Hyundai market the car with carefully-chosen slightly-better specs than other mid-size sedans. Thankfully I've had a chance to drive many sedans over the years, and I know that Hyundai is always the low end in every category. The 2015 Sonata also reminds me of Samsung's just-in-time attempts at copycat smartphones over the years. Can anyone in South Korea think original anymore?


    I don't think it looks like the Fusion at all. Hyundai has come a long way and the Sonata is competitive. It's more going after the Camry and Accord. I'd say the Fusion is more on the sporting side and not too big whereas the Camry and Accord have gone nearly full-size like the Sonata. Hell, the Sonata is almost as big as the Azera, which makes the higher end car only suitable for people that want V6 power. Now come to think of it, maybe they detuned the turbo to get more people in Azeras?
  • Zircoben
    In terms of reliability, quality, and resale value, you can't go wrong with a Toyota Camry.
  • hst101rox
    Hey I'm around Portland OR / Vancouver Wa too. Aggravating when someone comes in close in front of you without turn signals. A quick toot of my train horn releases my pressure
  • tuanies
    1636921 said:
    In terms of reliability, quality, and resale value, you can't go wrong with a Toyota Camry.


    A Toyota is always a safe bet if that's what you want. For me, the drive is too dull and boring to ever consider it.

    1748327 said:
    Hey I'm around Portland OR / Vancouver Wa too. Aggravating when someone comes in close in front of you without turn signals. A quick toot of my train horn releases my pressure


    Which reminds me I need to find a set of Hella horns for the Project Mazda 5 and my wife's Leaf.
  • may1
    Why would I buy a car from a Honda-rip-off company
  • Zircoben
    242231 said:
    Why would I buy a car from a Honda-rip-off company


    Hyundais don't even look anything like Hondas. All they are doing is competing, not ripping them off in any sense.
  • Kary K
    396755 said:
    1791104 said:
    Not terribly impressed with the Apple solution if it requires USB. I probably won't like the Android solution either. but then I'm fairly happy with the various players being able to connect to a car stereo by BT. Smartphones change too much to buy a car based on what they are currently like.
    USB is a must IMO or you'll just have something very demanding draining your phone and pissed off customers wondering why their battery life sucks.


    Well, that raises another question--does the car's USB connection offer a 2.1 amp circuit?

    But in any case, for shorter trips I like the ability to just hop into the car and use a BT connection, not even touching my phone.
  • WyomingKnott
    47809 said:
    Thanks for reminding some idiots out there to use their turn signals. I see at least 2 of 10 people not using turn signals all the time. This is in Portland, Oregon area.


    I was once cut off by a no-signal lane changer. I caught up to him at a red light and called out the window "Your right turn signal is out." I meant it as sarcasm.

    He pulled over, checked his turn signal, and it was out. He thanked me. Glad I didn't curse him out for being to lazy to use it instead of my cool, understated sarcasm.
  • Kary K
    1636921 said:
    242231 said:
    Why would I buy a car from a Honda-rip-off company
    Hyundais don't even look anything like Hondas. All they are doing is competing, not ripping them off in any sense.


    Maybe May1 is just confused by the sound-alike name. ;)

    In any case, both companies make good cars, so that would be a reason to buy a Hyundai.
  • hst101rox
    1748327 said:
    Hey I'm around Portland OR / Vancouver Wa too. Aggravating when someone comes in close in front of you without turn signals. A quick toot of my train horn releases my pressure


    Which reminds me I need to find a set of Hella horns for the Project Mazda 5 and my wife's Leaf.

    Hornblasters sells the train horns, requires some space for the air system though. Someone managed to put the horns under the hood of a Smart car. I have the entire Shocker 240 system under the hood of my Civic.. Wanting to buy a used Volt, maybe put the horns and tank under the car just behind the battery and gas tank?
    Anyway it's quite an attention getter