Data densities are reaching record levels; by the Summer we will see hard disks with storage capacities as high as 300 GB. It is good to know that mobile data storage is also benefiting from these rapid advances, and that the major manufacturers are making their drives available in external cases for connection via the USB or FireWire ports.
Western Digital sent us two of their latest models. Despite their unassuming model name, "WD External Hard Drive," these 200 GB hard drives offer the PC user a number of useful benefits. While there have been external drives with a FireWire interface before, these models are equipped with both FireWire and USB 2.0. Up till now, anyone looking for this degree of flexibility had no choice but to source an external case from a specialist manufacturer.
- The Combo Drive In Detail
- The Combo Drive In Detail, Continued
- Factory Case Modding: Lights To Catch The Eye
- Combo Drive: Technical Details
- Interior Of The Combo Drive
- Accessories Included: All The Usual Stuff
- Test Setup
- Burst Transfer Rate (Interface)
- Conclusion: FireWire Gives The Best Results