Although you’ll see more results dominated by Western Digital, the new Caviar Black cannot beat the new Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B, and it does not come close to the first competitor regarding throughput, the Samsung Spinpoint F1 at a maximum of 119.5 MB/s. The result of 106 MB/s is still good, which helps WD to beat Seagate.
The write performance numbers are similar to those of read throughput. The undisputed leader is WD’s 10,000 RPM 2.5” VelociRaptor, but Samsung’s Spinpoint F1 and the new Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B deliver better throughput.
- Hitachi, WD: 1-TB Drives Revised
- Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 1 TB (HDT721010SLA360)
- Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB (WD1001FALS)
- Test Setup and Transfer Diagrams
- Access Time and Interface Bandwidth
- Sequential Read/Write Throughput
- PCMark05 Application Benchmarks
- I/O Performance
- Power and Temperature
- Performance per Watt: Workstation
- Performance per Watt, Streaming Reads
- Old vs. New and Comparison Table