Lame and iTunes are classics when it comes to converting music files, and they're only single-threaded, giving us a sense of per-core performance.
Conversely, HandBrake, Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, and TotalCode Studio tax all available computing resources, fully utilizing the Core i7-3770K.
One-second differences between Windows 7 and 8 in some of these tests are as much as we see. At least in processor-bound tasks, Microsoft's latest won't necessarily help or hurt.
- A Performance Check With Core i7-3770K
- Benchmark Results: 3DMark 11 And PCMark 7
- Benchmark Results: Sandra 2012 And Fritz
- Benchmark Results: Crysis 2 And Mafia II
- Benchmark Results: Audio And Video
- Benchmark Results: Image Processing And Image Rendering
- Benchmark Results: File Compression And File Operations
- Confirmation: Similar Performance Under Windows 8