Our mixed workload testing is described in detail here, and our steady state tests are described here.
Mixed workload testing is standard practice in the enterprise space, but it's just now becoming more popular for desktop storage benchmarking. In order to make this testing viable for client workloads, the number of data reads increases to 80%, leaving 20% for writes. AHCI, the underlying protocol for SATA, is a half-duplex interface, so devices can only read or write at one time, never both. This increases latency as tasks end up waiting on each other.
The JMF670H performs well in both sequential and random mixed workloads. The same rules still apply: low queue depths weigh heavier than high queue depths for desktop use. The baseline starts at QD2 though, and ramps to QD4 for multitasking.
Wouldn't a much more appropriate comparison be the 1TB 2.5" 5400rpm drives that sell for about $50? 1TB HGST drive on newegg for $52(free ship) right now, first one i checked, so i didn't look for best price.
When you say, look we can buy a 128gb flash drive for only a 30% more then a 250gb 2.5inch hard drive....you vastly inflate storage the value of the ssd compared to hdd.
Dont get me wrong, would i want a $49 128gb ssd over a $35 250gb hhd as my only storage drive, yes! But, would i want the same ssd over a 1tb $52 drive as my only storage drive....no! Would i much rather have the $49 ssd AND the $52 drive as dual drives, YES!(well id much rather pay more then that and get both drives bigger tho ie 256gb and 2tb)
Sorry Tomshardware, you are blacklisted, and you need to earn your reputation back.
...and, by the way, this page took 40 seconds to load, and that without the crappy chart animations.
You really need to fire the dude who made the charts, fix the long load, and fix you resource hungry ads. You have a problem here.
The choice to compare low capacity sizes revolves around OEMs and the lowest priced products. Even though a 1TB 2.5" HDD represents a great value, the OEMs will always choose a low capacity size model that shaves a few dollars off the price.
A report came out last night that stated major OEMs are now buying 128GB SSDs at $50. Sadly, I didn't have that data when I wrote this article.