Skylake: Intel's Core i7-6700K And i5-6600K

Results: Office Productivity

Microsoft Office 2013

No collection of desktop benchmarks is complete without Microsoft’s popular Office suite. We’re leaving control over the workloads (as well as computing and reporting the geometric mean of the three benchmark runs per application) to PCMark 8 Professional once again.

Microsoft Word 2013


File Size
Pages
Words
Pictures
Original Document
3.25MB7717,9875
Target Document
57MB138
30,80010
Actions
- Start Application and Open Document
- Open Target Document in New Window
- Copy Large Part of Original Document to Target Document
- Save Target Document with New File Name
- Expand Target Document's Window
- Cut and Paste Large Part of Target Document
- Save Target Document Again
- Text Input with Simulated Delay
- Save Target Document Again
- Insert Pictures in Target Document
- Save Target Document Again and Close Application


Microsoft Excel 2013


File Size
Worksheets
Active Cells
Original Files
4.62MB
2.33MB
4
240,800
Target File
4.18MB2
10,930
Actions
- Start Application and Open All Three Worksheets
- Open All Workbooks
- Expand Application Window
- Copy Data from Original to Target Workbook with Formula Evaluation
- Copy Data from Original to Target Workbook without Formula Evaluation
- Copy From Cells with Formulas
- Copy More Data to Cells with Formula Evaluation
- Insert Specific Values in Three Cells with Formula Evaluation
- Save Target Document and Close Application


Microsoft PowerPoint 2013


File Size
Slides
Pictures
Original File
27.1MB1512
PDF Export
2.83MB16
13
Actions
- Start Application and Open Presentation
- Expand Application Window
- Browse Slides (Looking at Them Simulated with Pauses)
- Add New Slide
- Insert and Cut Picture
- Insert Text
- Save Document
- Export to PDF and Close the Application

As expected, Intel’s two Skylake-based CPUs lead the field. It’s interesting to see that the Core i5-6600K is at least as fast as, or even a bit faster than the i7-6700K, in spite of its lower clock rate. SMT seems to reduce overall performance a bit in Microsoft Office.

This thread is closed for comments
265 comments
    Your comment
  • rantoc
    Yawn... its easy to see that intel have to little competition, they have stagnated in the cpu performance department!
  • daniel266
    Can we have comparisons of rendering software using win 8.1 and win 10 ??
  • cats_Paw
    Still 4 cores.... Im sticking to my Q6600.
  • Vlad Rose
    What the heck Intel? So, you provide great integrated graphics into Broadwell, then nerf it for Skylake? I guess you had to find a way to help sell your 'paper launch' of Broadwell. I really hope Xen makes you guys wake up; although it more than likely won't.
  • Bartendalot
    At least Skylake HEDT should be powerful. Unless DX12 pulls a rabbit out of a hat, this doesn't look promising for anyone who has Sandy or higher.
  • stairmand
    Quote:
    Still 4 cores.... Im sticking to my Q6600.


    Then you really are missing out, 4 cores or not a current i5 (let alone an i7) will simply destroy the old Q6600 C2Q. It was great in the day but it's very old hat now and the lack of features on the board worse still.
  • salgado18
    Quote:
    Still 4 cores.... Im sticking to my Q6600.

    You do know that your Q6600 is astronomically slower than Skylake in every single department, right? By your logic, the Phenom II X6 is better than the i7 6700K.

    I think you should consider upgrading. You won't regret, promise.
  • salgado18
    Quote:
    What the heck Intel? So, you provide great integrated graphics into Broadwell, then nerf it for Skylake? I guess you had to find a way to help sell your 'paper launch' of Broadwell. I really hope Xen makes you guys wake up; although it more than likely won't.

    Do you mean Shen, from LoL? Or Zen? XD

    I believe the cost of the integrated memory chips would make these processors too expensive and niche to be viable products.
  • Lmah
    Good upgrade for 1st Gen i5/i7 users. Though I think they targeted it at the 2nd Gen i5/i7 users, doesn't seem like a huge improvement for them though.
  • vertexx
    Why no discrete graphics tests?
  • Cryio
    Skylake, the 1st worthy upgrade for Sandy Bridge users. If average IPC improvements from Sandy to Broadwell are ~13%, Skylake should make this difference even higher. Lower power usage, same OC ability or higher and we have a winner.
  • Vlad Rose
    120171 said:
    Quote:
    What the heck Intel? So, you provide great integrated graphics into Broadwell, then nerf it for Skylake? I guess you had to find a way to help sell your 'paper launch' of Broadwell. I really hope Xen makes you guys wake up; although it more than likely won't.
    Do you mean Shen, from LoL? Or Zen? XD I believe the cost of the integrated memory chips would make these processors too expensive and niche to be viable products.


    Xen- AMD's next generation CPU.
  • logainofhades
    1629708 said:
    Xen- AMD's next generation CPU.


    It is Zen, not Xen.

    I am not all that impressed, really. I see no real reason to upgrade from my 3570k. Taking a step backwards, on the IGP, makes 0 sense, also.
  • Yuka
    Quote:
    1629708 said:
    Xen- AMD's next generation CPU.
    It is Zen, not Xen. I am not all that impressed, really. I see no real reason to upgrade from my 3570k. Taking a step backwards, on the IGP, makes 0 sense, also.


    I disagree completely in the iGPU part. You don't need every generation of mainstream CPUs to have performance improvements so massive in terms of iGPU. Intel still has a lot of work to do driver wise and pulling better and better hardware doesn't put them in a better position.

    Plus, a better iGPU means less actual CPU. If you ask me, I think this OC is possible because they held back on iGPU and process maturity helped a lot.

    Cheers!
  • karab
    Quote:
    Still 4 cores.... Im sticking to my Q6600.


    This is a good joke. You are a funny person.
  • ubercake
    Quote:
    1629708 said:
    Xen- AMD's next generation CPU.
    It is Zen, not Xen. I am not all that impressed, really. I see no real reason to upgrade from my 3570k. Taking a step backwards, on the IGP, makes 0 sense, also.


    I know. I keep waiting for a reason to upgrade my 3930K setup and this is yet another gen I won't bother with. I thought they'd at least start giving us 6 cores standard with this gen. Not so.
  • Math Geek
    i like the pricing for the chips which is basically the same as current 5th gen i5/i7. too bad the new mobo and ddr4 ram will drive the total cost way skyward in the beginning. can't wait for those prices to drop and match current ddr3 and z97 mobo's. then we're talking a bit better.

    and why the hate on the igp? the AMD apu's have had a solid igp for a long time now yet all they get is hate since "no gamer uses an igp anyway" so now intel gets the igp hate as if folks will use it? so gamer will use the intel igp but not the amd one? come on folks can we at least be marginally consistent with the hate?? do gamers/enthusiasts care about igp or not?

    i'm more confused than a hungry baby in a strip club!!
  • royalcrown
    I do like the platform upgrades, specifically thunderbolt and new USB speeds. We just need more stuff that would use them. As far as the CPU, not so excited, like most of you.

    How many would upgrade if there was lots of thunderbolt and USB peripherals, and they weren't stupidly expensive ?
  • xenol
    I'm not bummed about the IGPU taken a step back because for the most part, most people who buy one of these aren't going to use it anyway. Unless Intel and others have finally implemented desktop switchable graphics.
  • wtfxxxgp
    I don't understand the negativity. It's brand new. Even the mobos and memory will be fresh and new. I honestly think that Intel still has a sucker-punch waiting to be revealed depending on what Zen is capable of. Why bring out your very best when mediocre is enough to beat your closest competitor, after all? It's far more lucrative to keep providing small incremental updates and charge a premium for every iteration than it is to say wham-bam and provide the masses with your very best effort and then have to charge a massive premium for it. I say be happy, every new bit of tech comes with advantages. I AM disappointed about the IGP though. These days I find myself playing MOBA games that don't require a lot of muscle - I'd love it if I could get a brilliant CPU and more than adequate IGP without having to shell out more money for a discrete GPU. I hope they do release something more top tier in both areas on the same CPU - I'll definitely purchase something like that.
  • royalcrown
    Something like when Thomas Edison said, "Never give them the best first." I think it was him anyhow.

    I agree from a business perspective, but from the perspective of actually advancing our computing paradigms and platforms, it is holding things back. The "speedbump" junk is a ball and chain on the ankle of advanced tech. It's screwing US a lot.

    976586 said:
    I don't understand the negativity. It's brand new. Even the mobos and memory will be fresh and new. I honestly think that Intel still has a sucker-punch waiting to be revealed depending on what Zen is capable of. Why bring out your very best when mediocre is enough to beat your closest competitor, after all? It's far more lucrative to keep providing small incremental updates and charge a premium for every iteration than it is to say wham-bam and provide the masses with your very best effort and then have to charge a massive premium for it. I say be happy, every new bit of tech comes with advantages. I AM disappointed about the IGP though. These days I find myself playing MOBA games that don't require a lot of muscle - I'd love it if I could get a brilliant CPU and more than adequate IGP without having to shell out more money for a discrete GPU. I hope they do release something more top tier in both areas on the same CPU - I'll definitely purchase something like that.
  • bystander
    What tests are you looking at, the IGP is faster than previous models, unless you look at the Iris and Iris Pro comparisons, which are specialty parts. Skylake will likely get an Iris and Iris Pro version as well.
  • legion_of_cheese
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Still 4 cores.... Im sticking to my Q6600.
    You do know that your Q6600 is astronomically slower than Skylake in every single department, right? By your logic, the Phenom II X6 is better than the i7 6700K. I think you should consider upgrading. You won't regret, promise.

    Quote:
    Quote:
    Still 4 cores.... Im sticking to my Q6600.
    You do know that your Q6600 is astronomically slower than Skylake in every single department, right? By your logic, the Phenom II X6 is better than the i7 6700K. I think you should consider upgrading. You won't regret, promise.

    Quote:
    Quote:
    Still 4 cores.... Im sticking to my Q6600.
    Then you really are missing out, 4 cores or not a current i5 (let alone an i7) will simply destroy the old Q6600 C2Q. It was great in the day but it's very old hat now and the lack of features on the board worse still.

    Quote:
    Quote:
    Still 4 cores.... Im sticking to my Q6600.
    You do know that your Q6600 is astronomically slower than Skylake in every single department, right? By your logic, the Phenom II X6 is better than the i7 6700K. I think you should consider upgrading. You won't regret, promise.


    In which way is he saying that the CPU he has is better/superior? He simply doesn't. Having less features or speed doesn't mean nothing when the user is comfortable with the performance. I have a friend who still has i7 970 and is still satisfied by it.

    You guys easily get mad at such statements which are ambiguous. Stop faning too hard.
  • InvalidError
    1786133 said:
    and why the hate on the igp?

    The rationale most enthusiasts use is that the die area used by the IGP could have been used for more cores or more cache, or that the die area could have been reduced to lower cost.

    As for why they are more upset about AMD focusing on CPUs with IGPs, that would likely have to do with how AMD lags so far behind Intel on CPU performance under most scenarios. Since the gap between AMD and Intel CPU performance is so wide, people simply accept Intel's IGP as part of the price premium. For those who adamantly refuse to pay for an Intel IGP of any sort, even disabled as is the case with some LGA115x Xeons, but still want Intel's CPU performance, there are the LGA2011(-v3) options.