Skip to main content

Alphacool Announces 'Eiszapfen' Quick Connect Couplings

Water cooling is a popular way for PC enthusiasts to cool their systems. The extra cooling capacity of liquid cooling often allows for more aggressive overclocking, and a custom open-loop water cooling system can be made into a work of art, but when you need to swap out a component, they can be a real hassle. Alphacool’s new Eiszapfen Quick Connect Couplings are meant to eliminate the need to drain your whole loop for a single component swap.

The Eiszapfen Quick Connect Couplings are the latest entry to Alphacool’s premium “Eis” series. The company said these premium quick connects are designed to be “used everywhere where expandability, flexibility and cleanness play an important role.” They feature G1/4 threading on each end, so you can add any standard fitting of your choice.

Aphacool also said that many quick disconnects restrict flow rate, but the Eiszapfen are designed to offer a high flow rate. The company has also implemented N.D.S.L. Technology (no drip, no splash, no leak) into the Eiszapfen Quick Connect Couplings, which boast a double O-ring seal and a lockout that prevents fluid from escaping.

The Alphacool Eiszapfen Quick Connect Couplings are sold in two different finishes, chrome and deep black, and they're available through the Aquatuning website for $23.10.

Follow Kevin Carbotte @pumcypuhoy. Follow us on Facebook, Google+, RSS, Twitter and YouTube

  • Gam3r01
    Just looks like a modified 1/4" air coupler for air compressors.
    Reply
  • kcarbotte
    17565102 said:
    Just looks like a modified 1/4" air coupler for air compressors.

    It's definitely very similar.
    Reply
  • kyle382
    $23 lol. Basic $3 connectors ftw.
    Reply
  • Pailin
    Creating quick release couplings certainly required some modification, primarily the following 2 points:

    Air compressor connections reply partly on the high pressure to engage the coupling and if used for water can leak.

    Also air line connections can be Quite restrictive to water flow.

    The type shown above are really quite good as such quick connections go for a water cooling setup. When disconnecting surprisingly little water escapes!

    Reply
  • Gam3r01
    Hence "modified"
    Reply
  • DarkSable
    $23 lol. Basic $3 connectors ftw.

    These aren't connectors that screw into your CPU block quicker, mate. :p

    They're for being able to remove part of the system (or, say, detach multiple computers from a central water-cooling hub) without having to drain the loop.
    Reply
  • Astone3145
    These seem to be the pc water cooling equivalent of the expensive fancy air couplings that are out there that no one buys cause they're just an air fitting...The fancy makes a lot more sense when you're trying to keep electronics dry and still have flexibility with HW changes. I'd say the extra $ is worth it for flow and peace of mind. Wouldn't you?
    Reply
  • Gam3r01
    17583036 said:
    These seem to be the pc water cooling equivalent of the expensive fancy air couplings that are out there that no one buys cause they're just an air fitting...The fancy makes a lot more sense when you're trying to keep electronics dry and still have flexibility with HW changes. I'd say the extra $ is worth it for flow and peace of mind. Wouldn't you?

    I personally dont go into my system enough to warrant the need for quick disconnect fittings. I would rather have less fittings for a better piece of mind.
    Do these have a use? Of course. Not everyone will want them.
    Reply
  • DarkSable
    17585187 said:
    I personally dont go into my system enough to warrant the need for quick disconnect fittings. I would rather have less fittings for a better piece of mind.
    Do these have a use? Of course. Not everyone will want them.

    What I think they're really cool for is two part systems, where the computer only holds the waterblocks and tubing to the back of the case, with a pair of tubes running to a dedicated rad box that has all of the radiators, fans, reservoir, and pump; it moves a lot of the fittings and parts most likely to break away from the computer, gives more room to work with, and makes everything cleaner. Being able to disconnect the two parts easily is a huge benefit, and this is an upgrade to the normal quick disconnects used for that.

    Reply