Origin PC Chronos: Two GeForce GTX 780 Tis In A Mini Gaming Cube

Origin PC Tweaks The Chronos For Better Performance

Origin PC is more than a skilled system builder; it’s also great at branding. Beyond the case's logos, the CPU cooler, and an included black T-shirt, the company’s Nexus software is a logoed version of the Xfire gaming client.

The tweaks extend to Origin PC's work with Asus' motherboard firmware. Its overclockers increased the multiplier range of Intel’s 3.5 to 3.9 GHz Core i7-4770K to 4.2 through 4.7 GHz. Adaptive voltage mode makes its 1.325 V setting a maximum, where the actual voltage reported by CPU-Z under eight threads of AVX-optimized Prime95 pushed it to only 1.28 V.

It's important to us that the systems we review be representative of what our readers get as well. Originally, Origin PC's website showed a 4.4 GHz maximum overclock available to customers. Then it was 4.6 GHz (still 100 MHz under our review machine). We talked with company representatives, though, who let us know this was a typo and should have been 4.7 GHz all along. As of this writing, you should be able to configure a Chronos through Origin's online configurator that exactly matches the beast cranking away in our lab.

Origin PC also gets its logo on EVGA’s vaunted Precision X overclocking utility, which it uses to push those two GeForce GTX 780 Ti graphics cards to a 1026 MHz base clock rate, a 1078 MHz GPU Boost setting, and GDDR5-7400.

Origin PC doesn’t charge for graphics card overclocking, but does cover the cost of replacing parts if anything goes wrong. Its $269 free-shipping warranty extension to three years is starting to look more like a bargain.

Create a new thread in the US Reviews comments forum about this subject
This thread is closed for comments
39 comments
    Your comment
    Top Comments
  • envy14tpe
    But that price tag. Yikes!
    17
  • Other Comments
  • envy14tpe
    But that price tag. Yikes!
    17
  • sbudbud
    Price is stupid, kill it with fire!!!
    5
  • Kingpin007
    great one would love to have one... if i had the money
    0
  • outlw6669
    Ouch, that is expensive!
    Loving the small form factor and performance though.

    How loud does this system have to get to handle all that heat?
    I am guessing that it will be pretty noisy; probably the biggest downside to putting so much performance in such a small package.
    2
  • bemused_fred
    21+73=94.That's a 94c peak CPU temp! Jay-soos! I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing.....
    6
  • Crashman
    112889 said:
    Ouch, that is expensive! Loving the small form factor and performance though. How loud does this system have to get to handle all that heat? I am guessing that it will be pretty noisy; probably the biggest downside to putting so much performance in such a small package.
    Nope, it's quiet. The reason it's quiet is that it uses GeForce 780 Ti's. They use what's probably the best GPU cooler ever devised.

    687157 said:
    21+73=94.That's a 94c peak CPU temp! Jay-soos! I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing.....
    Ah, but 17+73=90. It never reached max fan speed :)
    0
  • outlw6669
    8708 said:
    Nope, it's quiet. The reason it's quiet is that it uses GeForce 780 Ti's. They use what's probably the best GPU cooler ever devised.


    Quiet, powerful and a small footprint.
    That is a great combination in my book :)
    -1
  • Zeh
    I'd rather not have a 1 TB SSD. It's expensive as it is and 256gb is more than enough, at least for me. Heck, I have a 60gb and I'm fine with it.
    -1
  • quilciri
    I have a pair of 120gb ssd's in raid0, and it's nearly full with about 1/4 of my steam library, I'd like a 1tb ssd, but really don't want to shell out for one. the Hybrid drives are looking prety good, though. I'm suprised, with all the other money they dumped into this system that the storage drive wasn't a hybrid.
    0
  • larsoncc
    The internals are just amazing. Look at how beautifully compact it all is. I bet it's surprisingly heavy for its size; those 850W power supplies have some heft to them.
    -1
  • bemused_fred
    8708 said:
    Ah, but 17+73=90. It never reached max fan speed :)


    Did you post that the room temp is kept at 17, or did I just miss it?
    3
  • Iggledude
    Awesome Machine.The "perceived" heat in that cramped space would bug me to no end however. Still though... again, Awesome Machine.
    0
  • iknowhowtofixit
    I've made a few observations that I would like to share:

    -The BitFenix Phenom M and the AeroCool Dead Silence look very similar on the outside (but assembles very differently on the inside when installing components).
    -There is nothing special about this computer other than a demonstration of a poor internal layout and bad airflow.
    -You can save over $1000 building this yourself: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2J1tf
    -All it would take is a little bit of dust to collect and this PC is toast from the poor airflow.

    You would have to run this PC with the side panels off pretty much 100% of the time realistically. Also, anyone who has worked with a Phenom or Prodigy M and a Corsair H60 or H80 would know that there is around 1mm of clearance between the top of the radiator and the back of the lower graphics card. I hope nothing shifts in shipment or the metal radiator could short out or damage the GPU. I see that Origin didn't opt to install any sort of retaining brackets or something to guarantee that the GPU won't move that 1mm and short itself. The flimsy bracket that holds the PCI cards in place just doesn't instill confidence in a $4000+ "luxury" computer.

    Why would anyone want to buy this PC from Origin?

    Quote:
    Compared to our $2550 build, that same 66% price increase gets the Chronos a 29% gaming performance lead. We’ve come to expect a 2:1 cost-to-benefit relationship in high-end hardware comparisons, so we might have expected a 29% performance gain to cost 58% more or so. Yet, Origin PC’s build quality and warranty are easily worth the 8% difference between expected and actual price differences.


    Really? Anyone can throw components in a PC case and use zip ties. What did Origin do that makes this computer so special that build quality is a feature? I don't see anything custom nor special here. This comment is suspect at best....
    1
  • frannymaccy
    WTF? For 300 dollars cheaper, you could build:

    4930KRampage IV Black
    16GB 2400 CL10 Trident X
    GTX 780 Windforce OC in Sli
    840 Pro 512 GB
    2 x 1TB WD Caviar Blue
    Storm Trooper
    Seasonic 1250W 80+ Gold
    LG Blu Ray Writer
    Windows 8.1 Pro

    This is a vastly faster, more versatile, and more robust system... Literally every single component of this system will run better on stock, OC'able components will OC much better and with way more headroom, will be more reliable and stable, will last significantly longer as games use more hyperthreading and cores and faster RAM, and that's with 300 quid left over and splashing out easily 250 extra bucks on a super overkill PSU and Blu Ray Player and shipping costs... !

    The remaining money of 300-550 would probably cover a switch of components to the next gen of 5930K processors, Rampage V, DDR4 memory and sli GTX 880s before the year's out!
    0
  • Immaculate
    OR! you could do this same setup with the EVGA dual bios classified 780Tis with a custom water loop cooling nearly every component. Cheaper than the Chronos and well you don't really have to worry about warranty with your parts being so frosty.

    EDIT

    mATX: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2JekD

    ATX: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2JdJl
    -1
  • Crashman
    687157 said:
    8708 said:
    Ah, but 17+73=90. It never reached max fan speed :)
    Did you post that the room temp is kept at 17, or did I just miss it?
    Sorry, I thought I mentioned it was cold without stating the temp. Measured temp was 17 when that CPU temperature was recorded.

    696345 said:
    Quote:
    Compared to our $2550 build, that same 66% price increase gets the Chronos a 29% gaming performance lead. We’ve come to expect a 2:1 cost-to-benefit relationship in high-end hardware comparisons, so we might have expected a 29% performance gain to cost 58% more or so. Yet, Origin PC’s build quality and warranty are easily worth the 8% difference between expected and actual price differences.
    Really? Anyone can throw components in a PC case and use zip ties. What did Origin do that makes this computer so special that build quality is a feature? I don't see anything custom nor special here. This comment is suspect at best....
    Your analysis of the statement is questionable, since the article statement is a consideration of labor and shipping cost involved with assembly and warranty support.
    0
  • iknowhowtofixit
    8708 said:
    Your analysis of the statement is questionable, since the article statement is a consideration of labor and shipping cost involved with assembly and warranty support.


    Any 12 year old kid could assemble this computer. There is absolutely nothing special or proprietary about it. Most of the individual parts have a 3+ year warranty on them, so your warranty claim doesn't really hold weight.

    I'm wondering, specifically, what makes this computer special from a "build quality" stand point as mentioned in the article. All I see is a mediocre computer case stuffed with parts and insufficient airflow. I would appreciate a more in depth response rather than the generic response you gave, quoted above.
    1
  • Crashman
    696345 said:
    Any 12 year old kid could assemble this computer. There is absolutely nothing special or proprietary about it. Most of the individual parts have a 3+ year warranty on them, so your warranty claim doesn't really hold weight.
    Great! If you want to pay a 12-year old kid who lives across the country $15 an hour to build your PC, then pay him up front for 3 years of back-and-forth shipping, go for it. But that only implies that my warranty claim does hold weight.
    0
  • iknowhowtofixit
    8708 said:
    696345 said:
    Any 12 year old kid could assemble this computer. There is absolutely nothing special or proprietary about it. Most of the individual parts have a 3+ year warranty on them, so your warranty claim doesn't really hold weight.
    Great! If you want to pay a 12-year old kid who lives across the country $15 an hour to build your PC, then pay him up front for 3 years of back-and-forth shipping, go for it. But that only implies that my warranty claim does hold weight.


    You are still dodging the question and keeping talking about the warranty. I'm glad this computer has a 3 year warranty, as it should for the price. But a good warranty doesn't have any reflection on the build quality. I'm simply asking, "Why was build quality specifically mentioned in the conclusion." It is obvious that you stand by your wording in the article. I'm asking you to explain it without deflecting to their warranty.
    1
  • Junit151
    There is an error. The TX850M is semi-modular, not full modular.
    0