Virtual Reality has been making huge waves in the news for the last couple of years. This year we've seen rapid advancements in VR hardware design, and launch windows for two competing headsets have been announced. There's still a glaring problem when it comes to selling the world on VR, though. It truly is impossible to describe the experience.
Even those who think they get it really probably don't. Experiencing virtual reality is simply the only way you can really understand what the buzz is all about. As someone who has had many hours of experience with both Rift dev kits, and shown them to countless people, I can tell you this for certain. HTC aims to get more people experiencing VR with its HTC Vive World Tour.
The company is taking a mobile VR experience on the road to various cities in the U.S. and Europe. The tour kicked off yesterday in San Diego alongside Comic Con. The HTC tour truck is open for walk-ins on a first come, first serve basis, and it can be found on the corner of Island and 6th in San Diego, CA through Sunday.
Currently, the tour is making stops in 11 cities. Nine of those locations will be in the U.S., and the other two will be in Germany and France. Here's the current list of tour locations and dates.
- July 9-12, Island St & 6th Ave, San Diego, CA, USA
- July 17-19, Forecastle Festival [Invite Only], Louisville, KY, USA
- July 21-23, Navy Pier, Chicago, IL, USA
- July 25-28, specific location TBD, Kansas City, KS, USA
- August 2-8, The International, Seattle, WA, USA
- August 5-9, Gamescom, Cologne, Germany
- August 13-16, specific location TBD, San Francisco, CA, USA
- August 20-23, specific location TBD, Portland, OR, USA
- August 28-31, PAX Prime, Seattle, WA, USA
- September 4-9, IFA, Berlin, Germany
- October 28-November 1, Paris Games Week, Paris, France
HTC has noted that tour dates and locations are subject to change, so if your city isn't on the list now, maybe it will be there later.
- Hands-On With The HTC Vive
- A New VR Challenger Approaches
- HTC Vive Developer Edition Free To Preapproved Devs
- HTC Vive VR Dev Kits Are Out In The Wild