EU: Microsoft Promises Not to Block Other Browsers in Win 8

By - Source: Reuters | B 45 comments

Another Windows, another IE concern. The EU said it is investigating the ability to install other browsers in Windows 8, but said that Microsoft promised to comply with the request of the EU.

European Commissioner Joaquin Almunia told Reuters that Microsoft's Steve Ballmer is taking the issue "very, very" seriously and that the company is "taking measures" so that other browser makers are not prevented from being part of the new Windows 8 operating system. Apparently, some companies had complained that IE's rivals were blocked from running under Windows 8.

There appears to be no issue of an installation capability, but the more problematic complaint is the notion that Windows does not provide rival browser makers with full access to APIs for the integration in Windows 8. Given Microsoft's direction, it is much more essential to the browser integration that certain features are supported, rather than the issue of being prevented from an installation itself.

It will also be critical for browser makers to support a rich, hardware-accelerated UI of web apps. Microsoft has been fine tuning the acceleration capability of IE since the release of the first preview versions of IE9 in March of 2010.

Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback

Discuss
Ask a Category Expert

Create a new thread in the News comments forum about this subject

Example: Notebook, Android, SSD hard drive

This thread is closed for comments
Top Comments
  • 21 Hide
    sylvez , September 11, 2012 10:13 AM
    .. all these are happening while Apple is denying apps from running in the background in their iOS.
  • 11 Hide
    back_by_demand , September 11, 2012 11:28 AM
    PheruleI don't want my browser to be "fully integrated" with the OS

    You mean like Chrome?
  • 10 Hide
    ohim , September 11, 2012 10:42 AM
    I have Win 8 RC installed and there`s no issue concerning other browsers ... funny that they don`t touch Apple for being a closed circuit OS... I fukin hate these judges. Funny thing is that the full screen version of the IE works better than the other browsers, but i still use Opera.
Other Comments
    Display all 45 comments.
  • 21 Hide
    sylvez , September 11, 2012 10:13 AM
    .. all these are happening while Apple is denying apps from running in the background in their iOS.
  • -9 Hide
    acyuta , September 11, 2012 10:33 AM
    So typical of out of `useful' work EU bureaucrats, when they should be thinking about ways to not make the global economy tank further.

    As to this specific issue, all browsers used by me in win 8 install and work as faultlessly as in win 7. This includes Firefox, chrome and opera. Would be interesting to know the name of the company which has complained that (a) win 8 users want their browser (b) and cannot install it.
  • 10 Hide
    ohim , September 11, 2012 10:42 AM
    I have Win 8 RC installed and there`s no issue concerning other browsers ... funny that they don`t touch Apple for being a closed circuit OS... I fukin hate these judges. Funny thing is that the full screen version of the IE works better than the other browsers, but i still use Opera.
  • 3 Hide
    mapesdhs , September 11, 2012 10:54 AM

    acyuta wrote:
    > So typical of out of `useful' work EU bureaucrats, when they should be thinking about ways to
    > not make the global economy tank further.

    Global economies are in a mess because for two decades individuals, companies and govts happily
    spent trillions they never had. That has nothing to do with the staff who work for EU institutions.
    Look at the national debts of Greece, US, UK, Spain, Italy, etc., and the private debts too (very large
    in the UK, more than a trillion). Nothing to do with the EU.

    Re the browsers, good to hear you were able to use them ok, but I'll be sticking with Win7.

    Ian.

  • 1 Hide
    tomfreak , September 11, 2012 10:56 AM
    Sticking with windows 7 unless they force DirectX 12 win 8 only.
  • 6 Hide
    back_by_demand , September 11, 2012 11:17 AM
    Why is this even an issue, Microsoft has never blocked any other browser on any of it's versions of Windows ever
    OK, maybe it has IE pre-installed but actively preventing another browser installation? Never
  • 8 Hide
    Pherule , September 11, 2012 11:22 AM
    I don't want my browser to be "fully integrated" with the OS. This is the main reason I don't use IE any more (aside from the fact that it sucks)
  • 11 Hide
    back_by_demand , September 11, 2012 11:28 AM
    PheruleI don't want my browser to be "fully integrated" with the OS

    You mean like Chrome?
  • 4 Hide
    Anonymous , September 11, 2012 11:32 AM
    Are they talking about RT?
  • 1 Hide
    jaquith , September 11, 2012 11:32 AM
    Okay, I garnered so far: Apple hate, Economy in shambles, and someone loves Win 8.

    I have no doubt Microsoft will comply with laws, and if they don't they're stupid and cannot learn from their past.

    Until some developers and sites quit Active X I'm stuck with IE to access those critical sites - no choice.
  • 5 Hide
    back_by_demand , September 11, 2012 11:48 AM
    jaquithOkay, I garnered so far: Apple hate, Economy in shambles, and someone loves Win 8.I have no doubt Microsoft will comply with laws, and if they don't they're stupid and cannot learn from their past.Until some developers and sites quit Active X I'm stuck with IE to access those critical sites - no choice.

    Not Apple hate, just annoying that the worlds largest company doesn't have to comply with the same laws, where is the browser choice screen in OSX or iOS? Come to think of it, where is the browser choice screen for Android?
    Also if it's developers and sites that continue to use ActiveX then it's not Microsoft's fault at all is it?
  • 0 Hide
    classzero , September 11, 2012 12:14 PM
    We made no promises in the US so . . .
  • 5 Hide
    pjmelect , September 11, 2012 12:17 PM
    As I understand it, its not the browser running on the desktop that's in question its the browser running under the interface formerly known as Metro that is the problem.
  • 0 Hide
    jaquith , September 11, 2012 12:22 PM
    back_by_demandNot Apple hate, just annoying that the worlds largest company doesn't have to comply with the same laws, where is the browser choice screen in OSX or iOS? Come to think of it, where is the browser choice screen for Android?...Also if it's developers and sites that continue to use ActiveX then it's not Microsoft's fault at all is it?

    Well for starters I use Chrome on my iPhone, and as far as Active X it is what it is.

    Again, I cannot imagine MS wants to revisit it's past and end up in court over what's IMO a trivial matter.
  • 6 Hide
    Vladislaus , September 11, 2012 12:43 PM
    jaquithWell for starters I use Chrome on my iPhone, and as far as Active X it is what it is. Again, I cannot imagine MS wants to revisit it's past and end up in court over what's IMO a trivial matter.

    He mentioned the browser choice screen like windows has, not the ability to install a third party browser.
  • 4 Hide
    ikefu , September 11, 2012 12:46 PM
    I thought the Windows 8 Browser concerns voiced by Mozilla were for Windows 8 RT (ARM version) and not the full (x86) version of 8? I don't think the pro version was ever a concern.

    I want to see them make the same promise to allow full support of other browsers for Windows 8 RT. I hate that there is not Firefox available on my Wife's iPad due to Apple locking down iOS so hard. Its one of the main reasons I have an Android.
  • 0 Hide
    alidan , September 11, 2012 1:00 PM
    mapesdhsacyuta wrote:> So typical of out of `useful' work EU bureaucrats, when they should be thinking about ways to> not make the global economy tank further.Global economies are in a mess because for two decades individuals, companies and govts happilyspent trillions they never had. That has nothing to do with the staff who work for EU institutions.Look at the national debts of Greece, US, UK, Spain, Italy, etc., and the private debts too (very largein the UK, more than a trillion). Nothing to do with the EU.Re the browsers, good to hear you were able to use them ok, but I'll be sticking with Win7.Ian.

    i thought that the final straw was major corporations betting billions on bad debt that would had the odds of paying out that were worse than betting green on roulette

    back_by_demandNot Apple hate, just annoying that the worlds largest company doesn't have to comply with the same laws, where is the browser choice screen in OSX or iOS? Come to think of it, where is the browser choice screen for Android?...Also if it's developers and sites that continue to use ActiveX then it's not Microsoft's fault at all is it?

    apples computer install base is pathetic, windows still has a monopoly when it comes to the desktop. so as far as that goes, apple doesnt need to play by the same rules as a monopoly.

    that said, the eu is so stupid when it comes to crap they make windows do and the fines they make them pay, all over internet explorer...

    seriously, if i was microsoft i would patch the internet out of windows for them, just out of spite. not forcing windows to package every browser with the computer and asking which they want installed.

    i would have a problem if windows actively blocked programs from working, but they dont... anyone know if they did in the past?
  • 1 Hide
    southernshark , September 11, 2012 1:15 PM
    alidan if windows actively blocked programs from working, but they dont... anyone know if they did in the past?

    No and yes. I have owned every version of Windows and no browser has ever been blocked. But the security features do block some MALWARE. So in that sense yes. I doubt anyone wants MALWARE on their computer though. Of course you could disable the security features and still install it if you are one of those people who really like your PC to be filled with viruses.

    As for Win 8, I am still debating it. I just have W7 home, so upgrading to Win8 pro for 40 bucks (intro offer) is very appealing.
  • 1 Hide
    zloginet , September 11, 2012 1:49 PM
    ohimI have Win 8 RC installed and there`s no issue concerning other browsers ... funny that they don`t touch Apple for being a closed circuit OS... I fukin hate these judges. Funny thing is that the full screen version of the IE works better than the other browsers, but i still use Opera.

    "Closed Circuit" really!!!!, please don't post using such words. Not only that, the article states the main issue is the release of the APIs. Please also note, there isn't a issue installing other browsers per the article. FINALLY, I am so happy you found one trait "Full Screen Option" in IE that rivals all other browsers.
  • 1 Hide
    nieur , September 11, 2012 2:07 PM
    while sneaking into these HIGHLY SENSITIVE matter will European Commissioner have time to check into real matters such as false rape allegations against Jullian Assange?
Display more comments