From: Steve Ballmer
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 5:16 PM
To: Microsoft - All Employees (QBDG)
Subject: Windows Leadership Changes

Over the past few months we have delivered the foundation for a new era for Microsoft. From Office to Bing to Windows Phone and Windows Azure, to Xbox and of course Windows and Surface and everything in between, we've unleashed a huge wave of devices and services that people and businesses love. I simply couldn't be more proud of the effort you have all put in to get us here and to set the foundation for our future. At the Windows launch in New York, at the Windows Phone event in San Francisco, and again at the Build event on Redmond campus, I was struck that while externally many people look at these events as the finish line, they really represent the starting line of a new era.

As we enter this new era, and with the successful launch of Windows 8 and Surface behind us, Steven Sinofsky has decided to leave the company. Steven joined Microsoft in 1989 as a software development engineer and has contributed to the company in many ways from his work as a technical advisor to Bill Gates, to leading the evolution of the Microsoft Office business, to his direction and successful leadership of Windows and Windows Live as well as Surface. I am grateful for the work that Steven has delivered in his time at our company.

Effective immediately, Julie Larson-Green will lead Windows engineering. She will be responsible for all product development for Windows and Windows Live, in addition to Surface. Julie has been a stalwart leader of building compelling "experiences" from her time on Internet Explorer, through the evolution of Office and most recently to the re-imagination of Windows. Her unique product and innovation perspective and proven ability to effectively collaborate and drive a cross company agenda will serve us well as she takes on this new leadership role. All of the current Windows engineering teams will report into Julie, and Julie will report to me.

Tami Reller will lead business and marketing strategy for Windows including Surface and partner devices. She will provide broad stewardship to our PC marketing efforts while managing the line business functions for Windows. Her work on Windows since 2007 has been exemplary and her strong talents in working with internal groups and partners will also serve us well. Tami also will report to me.

We are facing a time of great opportunity. What we have accomplished over the past few years is nothing short of amazing, and I know we have more amazing in us. I am excited about our people, I am energized by our ability to change and grow, and I look forward to the success which lies ahead. Thank you for all you do, and please join me in congratulating our new leadership and celebrating all that we have accomplished so far.

Steve

Click here to read Steven Sinofsky's letter to all Microsoft employees... sent from his Surface RT.

Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback

Discuss
Ask a Category Expert

Create a new thread in the News comments forum about this subject

Example: Notebook, Android, SSD hard drive

This thread is closed for comments
Top Comments
  • 21 Hide
    house70 , November 13, 2012 2:06 PM
    I was hoping to see Ballmer's departure ....
  • 12 Hide
    LORD_ORION , November 13, 2012 2:51 PM
    Ashamed of Windows 8 I guess...

    :D
Other Comments
  • 21 Hide
    house70 , November 13, 2012 2:06 PM
    I was hoping to see Ballmer's departure ....
  • Display all 22 comments.
  • 2 Hide
    Onus , November 13, 2012 2:08 PM
    Very little in there about the guy leaving. Gone and forgotten. Somehow I don't feel inspired.
  • 0 Hide
    kanoobie , November 13, 2012 2:27 PM
    How Ballmer feels about developers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE
  • -1 Hide
    jaquith , November 13, 2012 2:32 PM
    Quote:
    While Sinofsky's departure is purportedly mutual

    For sure it was mutual! My take is head butting and Sinofsky lost. The men with the 'Gold' makes the rules (Bill Gates & Steve Ballmer), like it or not.
  • 12 Hide
    LORD_ORION , November 13, 2012 2:51 PM
    Ashamed of Windows 8 I guess...

    :D
  • -4 Hide
    neiroatopelcc , November 13, 2012 2:57 PM
    LORD_ORIONAshamed of Windows 8 I guess...

    He actually did a pretty good job on surface and the new windows. Ignorant people actually consider the products after seeing the marketing - something usually only (cr)apple can do.
  • 2 Hide
    jaber2 , November 13, 2012 2:58 PM
    Microsoft is a very young company, people in the future will only remember the founders and not the key people who made the innovations through the years to makes them what they are today and tomorrow.
  • 1 Hide
    cookoy , November 13, 2012 3:12 PM
    After windows, he was shown the doors. But he left gracefully, no sour-grape whining. We may have to wait a little while before more details of his departure come out.
  • -4 Hide
    Thomas Creel , November 13, 2012 6:12 PM
    hipsters all saying bad things about w8, one day we r gonna say i was alive when w8 came out and revolutionized os's
  • 3 Hide
    olaf , November 13, 2012 6:14 PM
    neiroatopelccHe actually did a pretty good job on surface and the new windows. Ignorant people actually consider the products after seeing the marketing - something usually only (cr)apple can do.

    I saw windows 8 and its SHIT for desktop, I like my mouse and keyboard , and no i don't want a 27" fingerprinting on my desc ... its enough that i carry one around in my pocket.
  • 1 Hide
    clonazepam , November 13, 2012 6:51 PM
    I sent them feedback to package a headphone/microphone pkg with Win 8 copies destined for desktops, and have those versions focus on voice more than touch interface on a typical monitor with uh no touch.

    It's a horrible idea but its still better than watching some dunce poke his finger at his monitor repeatedly, expecting a different result each time.

    I haven't tried it since last year...
  • 1 Hide
    clonazepam , November 13, 2012 6:52 PM
    Windows 8.1 for desktops will feature the ability to track eye movement via a typical webcam, for navigating tiles.
  • -2 Hide
    Anonymous , November 13, 2012 6:54 PM
    Long, long ago, in a desktop galaxy far, far away! The dark lord and master, issues his statment! that the only way to save things, is to elect me emperor! Oh hear me imperial senate, for I am your Leader!
    And the dark lord whispers to young Anakin: Fear leads to Eight, and EIGHT leads to the darkside, feal the Eight inside you, Anakin, come to the dark side!
  • 0 Hide
    halcyon , November 13, 2012 7:54 PM
    After moving ENTIRELY from Mac OS X to Windows 8 Pro I can say its much nicer than I gave it credit for. Do I still miss the Start button, well yeah, but I see the sense in the tiles and they're so configurable that you can just about set it any way you need. I love the file-copy info/animation and how it shows actual throughput. Very nice.

    Goodbye Apple, our time together was fun and I'm hope to see you again in a few years.

    Sinofsky? I'm sure he got paid WELLLL so I have to sorrow for him.
  • 1 Hide
    darkavenger123 , November 13, 2012 8:11 PM
    Smart move. Windows 8 will be a historical disaster on Epic propotion never seen before. He leaves before his name is permanently attached to it. Now it's Ballmer's problem. LOL.
  • 0 Hide
    romansky , November 13, 2012 8:42 PM
    LOL, they put one of the people incharge of the IE project??

    Seriously MS? IE??
  • 0 Hide
    Anonymous , November 13, 2012 9:05 PM
    Thomas Creel, Microsoft Shill. I do not think very many Hipsters, Moms, kids, or the family dog, will live in fear of the windows 8 revolution! The one thing that will be remembered is the total farce, that putting a Tablet interface on a PC desktop interface, was! Once again, people from all over and all segements of the population will say. what a shameless power grab that was, Microsoft's attempt to blot out the desktop, and install some crappy runtime over a perfectly good desktop user interface just to enhance M$'s revenue stream in the Kiddy sandbox AKA as the METRO interface (YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY IN OUR SANDBOX) of fools!
  • 0 Hide
    etichi , November 13, 2012 10:09 PM
    house70I was hoping to see Ballmer's departure ....

    me too. The guy is a windbag.
  • 0 Hide
    clonazepam , November 13, 2012 11:39 PM
    Thanks Hal, back at ya lol
  • 0 Hide
    badaxe2 , November 14, 2012 1:55 AM
    kanoobieHow Ballmer feels about developers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE

    One would think that with all that enthusiasm Microsoft would have more 1st party studios for both Xbox and PC gaming.
Display more comments