The new full-sized build tops its potent but puny predecessor in all three 3DMark disciplines. I can only hope that trend continues through the real-world benchmarks!
Unfortunately, PCMark is unfavorable to the X79’s server-oriented drive controller software. Because of that performance deficiency, I reverted to Microsoft’s Windows 8 AHCI driver for the overclocked configuration.
The three access patterns used in the SBM drive performance metric show the new build significantly behind, using Intel’s driver. Using Microsoft’s driver for its overclocked configuration gets me back on track.
- There's Always Room For More
- Graphics, Motherboard, And CPU
- Case, Power, And CPU Cooler
- DRAM, SSD, HDD, And ODD
- Hardware Installation
- Overclocking: Hot Air Is Bad, OK?
- Test System And Benchmarks
- Results: 3DMark And PCMark
- Results: SiSoftware Sandra
- Results: Battlefield 3 And Far Cry 3
- Results: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim And F1 2012
- Results: Audio And Video Encoding
- Results: Adobe Creative Suite
- Results: Productivity
- Results: File Compression
- Power, Heat, And Overall Performance
- Is Our Three-Way SLI-Based Setup Efficient? Can We Even Talk Value?