EA says it's in a gift-giving mood, but just not for PC gamers.
On Wednesday Electronic Arts said that a playable demo of Dead Space 3 will be available on January 22, 2013. Unfortunately, EA only mentioned the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles, and did not provide a demo release date – if there is one at all – for the PC version. Even more, Xbox 360 gamers get a chance to play the demo a week early by heading here and signing up.
Talk about adding insult to injury.
"In the demo, players will be thrust into deep space terror when unwilling hero — Isaac Clarke — and all-new co-op companion — Sergeant John Carver — crash land on Tau Volantis, an unforgiving ice planet teeming with Necromorphs," EA said on Wednesday. "Dead Space 3 takes the franchise's core elements of suspense, horror, action and sound and introduces them to all-new elements — including co-op play - that allows players to work together to take down the most ambitious Dead Space experience yet."
Dead Space 3 launches in North America on February 5 on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Widows PC, and February 8 in Europe. However the upcoming demo will include co-op play allowing gamers to assume the roles of Isaac Clarke and John Carver, weapon crafting, and even support for Kinect: heal yourself by saying "Quick Heal" and give your co-op partner more ammunition by saying "Give Partner Ammo".
For PC gamers left without a demo to play, there's still hope that one will arrive once the game goes retail in February. The system requirements aren't all that demanding, requiring a 2.8 GHz single-core processor or equivalent, 2 GB of RAM for Vista and Windows 7, and more. Here's the full list of system requirements:
* FOR WINDOWS XP (SP3), Vista (SP1) or WINDOWS 7
* 2.8 GHz processor or equivalent
* 1 GB RAM (XP), 2 GB RAM (Vista or Windows 7)
* Nvidia GeForce 6800 or better (7300, 7600 GS, and 8500 are below minimum system requirements)
* ATI X1600 Pro or better (X1300, X1300 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements)
* 256 MB Video Card and Shader Model 3.0 required
* The latest version of DirectX 9.0c
* At least 10 GB of hard drive space for installation, plus additional space for saved games.
* INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION, AND END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY.
* Integrated chipsets may experience issues.
"Players will embark on a thrilling ride through space that takes them to a hostile new planet, Tau Volantis," EA said on Wednesday. "Fortunately, they are not alone this time around. The fully integrated drop-in/drop-out co-op feature gives players the option to play alone or team-up with a friend anytime. Players that choose to take down the terror together will experience additional story details, side missions and gameplay mechanics only found when playing as John Carver."
For more information about Dead Space 3, head here.