So far it's the world's thinnest ultrabook according to Acer: the Aspire S5.
Acer America launched on Thursday the current reigning champ in the "world's thinnest Ultrabook" category, the "razer thin" Aspire S5 (S5-391-9880). It measures just 0.44-inches at its thinnest and .59-inches at the thickest, and weighs a mere 2.65 pounds. This also the first Ultrabook to feature Thunderbolt which is tucked away -- along with USB 3.0 and HDMI ports -- within the S5’s innovative MagicFlip I/O Port that's concealed just below the hinge.
"The S5's delicately curved chassis is Onyx Black, and the cover rim wraps around the system body like a protective shell," the company said. "A magnesium-aluminum alloy cover and palm rest provide a slim and sturdy design, while the metallic brushed detail provides subtle elegance. Clean and ultra-fluid contours from all angles make the S5 a vision of beauty."
Here a brief list of features:
- 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3517U Processor (4 MB L3 cache, up to 3.0 GHz) with Turbo Boost Technology
- 4 GB DDR3 dual channel RAM
- 256 GB SSD
- 2 USB 3.0 Ports
- 1 Thunderbolt Port
- PowerSmart battery pack - provides up to three times longer battery life cycles than traditional batteries (1,000 vs. 300 cycles)
- 13.3-inch widescreen LED-backlit display (1366 x 768)
- 1.3MP HD webcam
- Dolby Home Theater v4
- Acer Green Instant On - for fast boot and resume (1.5 seconds)
- Acer Always Connect - lets users manage their multimedia and data on all their devices at anytime, anywhere, even from sleep.
- Acer Cloud - provides S5 customers with remote access to the digital data residing on their Ultrabook via their Android tablet or smartphone.
The Aspire S5-391-9880 will be available the last week in June at http://us-store.acer.com/default.aspx and leading retailers across the U.S. It has an MSRP of $1,399.99.
Acer is also launching an updated version of its current S3 Series Ultrabooks with a 3rd Generation Intel Core i7 processor and a 256 GB solid state drive. It also now sports a new champagne color which "adds elegance to the uncluttered design of this diminutive powerhouse." The new Aspire S3 Series Ultrabooks will be available beginning next week at leading retailers across the U.S. Prices begin at $648 and range up to $999.99.