Page 1:Profiting From A Pricier Processor
Page 2:CPU And Cooler
Page 3:Motherboard And Memory
Page 4:Graphics Card And Hard Drive
Page 5:Case, Power Supply, And Optical Drive
Page 6:Assembly And Overclocking
Page 7:Test System Configuration And Benchmarks
Page 8:Benchmark Results: Crysis And Just Cause 2
Page 9:Benchmark Results: F1 2010 And Metro 2033
Page 10:Benchmark Results: Audio And Video
Page 11:Benchmark Results: Productivity
Page 12:Benchmark Results: Synthetics
Page 13:Power Consumption And Temperatures
Page 14:Can Core i5-2400 Justify Its Higher Cost?
Benchmark Results: F1 2010 And Metro 2033
While it establishes a pronounced lead over AMD's Phenom II, even the Core i5-2400 becomes a bottleneck when we start looking at games that tend to rely on CPU horsepower.
Ultra details and 8x MSAA introduce a demanding-enough graphical load to bring the systems closer together as resolution goes up. But it's important to note that all of these configurations are still capable of a maxed-out 1920x1080 experience.
Clear scaling by resolution indicates a graphics limitation, even at the High quality preset (our low test setting). The current PC leads the former at all resolutions, indicating that our change of CPU (or maybe the graphics driver) is coming into play, too.
We turn on all of the eye candy, aside from Advanced PhysX, for this second test set, including the highest detail levels, 4x MSAA, and the frame rate-zapping Depth of Field (DoF) filter.
At our lowest tested resolution, these settings are a bit overwhelming for an overclocked Radeon HD 6870. While playing through the game's prologue, frame rates dipped into the mid 20s, which is low for a shooter.
- Profiting From A Pricier Processor
- CPU And Cooler
- Motherboard And Memory
- Graphics Card And Hard Drive
- Case, Power Supply, And Optical Drive
- Assembly And Overclocking
- Test System Configuration And Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: Crysis And Just Cause 2
- Benchmark Results: F1 2010 And Metro 2033
- Benchmark Results: Audio And Video
- Benchmark Results: Productivity
- Benchmark Results: Synthetics
- Power Consumption And Temperatures
- Can Core i5-2400 Justify Its Higher Cost?