Throughput is considered a key performance index for a hard drive, and in fact it is. Samsung and Seagate dominate the results, but WD’s Scorpio Black is not so far behind. Knowing that I/O and application performance are superior on the WD drive, it is hard to make a recommendation based on this metric alone.
The streaming test with Iometer confirms the results, but puts Samsung on top this time.
The interface bandwidth test tells us the peak throughput of the drive when it comes to copying data out of or into the integrated 16 MB cache memory. It is not a suitable indicator for real-life performance, though.
- More Capacity, More Speed
- Samsung Spinpoint MP4 (640 GB, HM640JJ)
- Seagate Momentus 7200.5 (750 GB, ST9750420AS)
- Western Digital Scorpio Black (500 GB, WD5000BEKT)
- Test Setup And Throughput Diagrams
- Benchmark Results: Throughput And Interface
- Benchmark Results: Access Time And I/O Performance
- Benchmark Results: PCMark Application Performance
- Benchmark Results: Power And Efficiency