A battery of a 2011 Samsung Galaxy Note model recently exploded in its owner's pocket, with the man suffering burns.
He was walking around with the Samsung device in his pocket when the battery caught on fire. The man received second-degree burns and a one-inch wound on his thigh. Officials stated that the battery was not inside the phone when it exploded.
The incident itself took place in South Korea. A local newspaper said the battery was from the original Galaxy Note, but the Associated Press stressed that it remains unconfirmed.
The AP said the incident marks the second time during the last year when a Samsung battery has caught fire in South Korea. The company, however, confirmed that it won't be planning an investigation.
While they're quick in terms of charging, lithium-ion batteries have been known to malfunction due to heat. Last year, a phone battery caught fire in a man's back pants pocket at Defcon, while a man was killed in 2009 as an exploding phone severed his neck artery.
Boeing's 787 Dreamliner has been grounded until 2014 because of on-board fires stemming from lithium-ion batteries. Lenovo, Nokia, Dell, Apple, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba, Hitachi and Fujitsu have previously pulled products from retail stores due to overheating batteries.